Butchering a deer

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by zmoon, Jul 25, 2006.

1. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have always butchered my own deer. Normally 90 percent is ground up with always keeping the backstraps, tenderloins, and a couple of roasts.....i was wondering if anyone could tell me where to get the bigger steaks out of the hind end are......or what other cuts to get out

2. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    what big cuts u looking for. you could cut some round steaks out but you would be giving up a roast or two.

3. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    as far as giving up roasts, that doesnt bother me. i normally kill between 3-5 deer a year anyways. where are the round steaks located

4. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I do not like deer roast myself so I cut everything up into "steaks" or frying pieces.

The ham is basically 3 main muscles. Seperate those from the leg bone and each other. It is not too hard, just follow the natural seams.

Then just slice them up. But, watch the grain closely. In some pieces, the grain twists and if cut wrong, is tough.

The "eye" is a long straight muscle that comes out easily and is not to tough. The "butt" pieces is generally very tender. The other pieces , you got to watch the grain.

Robert

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    One good tip for slicing steaks is to use a modified cutting board. Its easy to make one and it really helps to cut your steaks to a uniform thickness. Just take a regular cutting board and add a 3" high (bang board) on one end. That way you can hold the steak, liver or whatever up aginst the board and it keeps if from squiggiling around and holds it solid so you can get a nice even slice. I hope you can understand my description. I just take a wooden cutting board and cut 3" off one side. Then I stand it up at 90 degrees on that same outside edge and glue and screw it in place. Nothing to it and it make slicing steaks a lot easier......

6. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    For a "visual" reference most meat cutters in grocery stores will show you the proper way to get steaks from a hind quarter. Missouri county agriculture extension sites "had"(?) Home meat processing books available. For whatever reason I don't care for "deer burger" so everything that can be cut to steak or roast goes there. Everything else goes to a summer sausage from a recipe I've used for years and from a recipe someone posted on the BOC site....... BTW, if you can find one a "Cube Steaker" (tenderizer) will make those steaks as tender as any slice of tenderized beef. I have an old commerical "cuber" that works great, we even use it on duck and goose breasts.

7. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    if you hadnt tried it already do yourself some sausage, stew beef and stir fry. these are very good.

8. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Metalfisher you dress and butcher a deer just like my best and only friend in TX and he does a great job as I am sure you do to.

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    You guys are making me wish it was october already!

10. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    steaks and roast are fine but you forgot about the jerky man. its all about the deer jerky.
    :hungry:

11. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
  12. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Anyone got some simple recipies for making sausage. I'd prefer patties as I don't yet have a tube for stuffing them. I have about 50 lbs of ground, some of which I'd like to make sausage out of.