this week has been about the busiest ive had in a long time. monday i cranked the boat up and let it run in the yard before i took it to the river and something go wrong. well, im glad i did, cuz come to find out i had a gasket leaking in my motor and the water and gas/oil were mixing and coming out of the exhaust. thought it might be a seal in the foot gone out and mixing down there, well pulled the foot off and no seals were real bad i did change one o-ring in the foot where the gears r in the foot it had a couple of flat spots in it and i didnt want to have to tear anything else apart once i got it back together, checked on the water pump it was kinda cracked up on the ears, so i changed it too. but i still didnt know where the water and oil were mixing so i went a little further up. looked up the exhaust housing and it was covered with grease real thick so i pulled it loose and i didnt know that when you take the exhaust loose on a 93 40hp evinrude that the power head comes off also. so it kinda slid/fell off in the bottom of the boat and luckily it didnt tear any thing up. when i looked at the gasket under the powerhead there was almost nothing left of it, it was dry rotted so bad. went to allens marine thursday and picked up all of the seals and gaskets that i needed and got everything put back together thursday night. came home from work friday and cranked it up and everything seems to be fine. no more grease coming out of the exhaust. went through a 24pack and a 18 pack in the process and i got out pretty cheap on the parts, i only had $65 in all the parts i thougt for sure i was gonna have a lot of money tied up in it getting it fixed. evinrudes r pretty easy to work on too it only took about 45 mins to tear it slam apart and about an hour and a half to put it back together. so i am going to take it for a test run this week and make sure the carbs dont any work done to them and it will be back off to the river again, prolly fishin and not catchin. ive been lucky so far, ive had the boat and motor since 2001 ( 14 ft high tide w/ 40 hp evinrude both r 1993 models) and this is the only time ive had and trouble out of it besides the carbs needing to be cleaned out.