busy week

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by SWAMPRAT, Feb 15, 2009.

1. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    this week has been about the busiest ive had in a long time. monday i cranked the boat up and let it run in the yard before i took it to the river and something go wrong. well, im glad i did, cuz come to find out i had a gasket leaking in my motor and the water and gas/oil were mixing and coming out of the exhaust. thought it might be a seal in the foot gone out and mixing down there, well pulled the foot off and no seals were real bad i did change one o-ring in the foot where the gears r in the foot it had a couple of flat spots in it and i didnt want to have to tear anything else apart once i got it back together, checked on the water pump it was kinda cracked up on the ears, so i changed it too. but i still didnt know where the water and oil were mixing so i went a little further up. looked up the exhaust housing and it was covered with grease real thick so i pulled it loose and i didnt know that when you take the exhaust loose on a 93 40hp evinrude that the power head comes off also. so it kinda slid/fell off in the bottom of the boat and luckily it didnt tear any thing up. when i looked at the gasket under the powerhead there was almost nothing left of it, it was dry rotted so bad. went to allens marine thursday and picked up all of the seals and gaskets that i needed and got everything put back together thursday night. came home from work friday and cranked it up and everything seems to be fine. no more grease coming out of the exhaust. went through a 24pack and a 18 pack in the process and i got out pretty cheap on the parts, i only had $65 in all the parts i thougt for sure i was gonna have a lot of money tied up in it getting it fixed. evinrudes r pretty easy to work on too it only took about 45 mins to tear it slam apart and about an hour and a half to put it back together. so i am going to take it for a test run this week and make sure the carbs dont any work done to them and it will be back off to the river again, prolly fishin and not catchin. ive been lucky so far, ive had the boat and motor since 2001 ( 14 ft high tide w/ 40 hp evinrude both r 1993 models) and this is the only time ive had and trouble out of it besides the carbs needing to be cleaned out.

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sounds like you ar getting ready to do some major fishing this year. I hope you get on some of those bigguns that broke you off last year. Good luck to ya.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Glad you got 'er back goin', Brian! 2 stroke engines are pretty simple to work on, and only took 42 grogs to get through it. :wink: You and BAREFOOTFISHN would make a great team!!!!! :wink::smile2::wink:

BB in SC

4. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    took the ol boat to the river and it ran like a top. and idles a lot better than last year and a little bit faster, i am surprised cause i am a cheapskate, i ran the same gas that has been in the tank since about september (remember that almost $4 a gallon, cant waste that!) well i will be hitting little pee dee soon, i put in at gallivants ferry and the water is in the banks good now, i might go try it out in brittons neck in my "honey hole" this weekend. if i catch russell in my spot ima let some lead fly. him and my wife give me hell last year about my honey hole, said we wouldnt catch nothin. it took about ten minutes and then it was on, another one broke the line. i didnt hear anything else about my hole not having no fish in it!:wink: