Busy day

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by Copeland, May 5, 2008.

1. Copeland

Copeland New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Me and my buddy went out fishing on Percy Priest last thursday. We got out onto the water around 1:00. The wind was howling between 15 and 20 mph, making the water extremely choppy, and pushing the boat around something fierce. The first few hours went by without any luck. My friend did catch one shell cracker on a Rat-l-trap that was almost as big as the fish was. lol. Right around 4, the wind decided to die down, and the fish got real active. We drifted around a bend, and saw schools of shad randomly jumping in the shallows, so i new a game fish had to be chasing them. Little did i know how many of them there were. We were throwing out 1/6 oz white rooster tails with black spots on them. We were using all ultralight gear. I was using a 5' ugly stick UL with a bass pro shops micro spin reel. The rooster tails looked like shad i guess, because we pulled 30 fish into the boat in the next 2 hours in the same area. To say the least, the 5 lb bass sure were fun on an ultralight pole and 6 lb test.:smile2: I pulled in 12 striper, 4 large mouth, and 3 crappie. My buddy pulled in 9 striper and 2 crappie. We ended up keeping 4 of the striper, and 3 of the crappie. All of these were in 3-4 ft of water at the deepest. Once the bass stopped biting, and the sun started going down, we started catfishing. But alas, no luck in that department. I guess you cant have the best of both worlds in the same day. We fried these bad boys up yesterday with a few friends and a few cold ones.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q271/macopeland21/keepers5-1-08.jpg

2. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I lived in Smyrna many years ago. I well remember those "late evening bites," on Priest when everything went crazy for a short while. Way to go...