Busted

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by billNpam, Oct 13, 2009.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    This has happened to all of us at one time or another and that is getting busted by deer. The question I have is after you get busted what do you do.

2. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    I use several different tactics depending on the situation. If they didn't wind you but spotted you, try calling with a turkey call. Sometimes that'll calm them down. You can also give a fawn bleat call, that works too. If they winded you, those deer are gone. I would normally sit tight unless the wind is swirling, if that's the case, I pack it in. No sense educating the entire population. If a doe spots you in your stand, and does that stomping and head bobbing routine, I try to take her if at all possible (and legal). Once the old gal has your number, she can wreak havoc on future hunts. Had this happen just yesterday...buck comes by chasing a doe but moving too fast for a shot. A few minutes later two does meander by feeding slowly. At 25 yards, the largest doe spots me in the tree stand and locks on. As soon as she turned broadside, I put the arrow through both lungs. A quick 75 yards and she was done. I now have meat in the freezer and one less educated doe to worry about.

Attached Files:

• Doe.jpg
      Doe.jpg
      File size:
      49.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i yell and run!!

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'd find another stand location and make sure I camo out better. If I'm busted on the ground, I make all the noise I can, so I don't act like a predator, while moving away from the area. Always leave the opposite way the deer go; never follow them.

5. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    It all depends on the stand site with me. If its a area that I want to hunt in the peak rut or mid pre rut, then I will move that stand to a different tree and let it calm for a week or two, for prime conditions to hunt the spot again.
    To many times I have been busted and when the deer come through that spot again they will look up at the tree that they spotted something not right.

6. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    It is always a good idea not to make eye contact with a deer that busts you. I've had them spot me but not know what I was. If I don't make eye contact, they will usually walk around stomping and blowing for awhile and then go back to what they were doing. I try to pick my stands for their camo appeal instead of ease of shooting. It doesn't do much good to be in a good spot if the deer can see you.

7. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I've been busted by does before, & sometimes they'll come back later. Curiosity & the cat, you know? I normally wear a baseball cap when I hunt, & if one starts looking too close, I'll tip my head low, so they can't see my eyes. If they're too nervous, but not moving out, I'll just let them take their time.
    Once I was on a stand right up til dark. I had a young buck chasing a young doe all up under me; never knew I was there. I "quietly" radioed my husband, & had him come in on the 4wheeler to spook them off. Then I got down & walked out.
    Whatever works...

8. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    The first thing I do is ask myself why - as long as I learn what tipped 'em off it will help in preventing it from happening again - I also watch what direction the deer head and the next time I hunt the area (no time soon) I will set up further in the direction from wich they came from but between where they went to and from where they came - deer have great memory and will be at least on edge when approaching an area that they have had a negative exsperience within - also if they head in another dirrection other then the one they came from they are headed strait for an ecscape rout they are comfortable with (most of the time thick cover) I have seen deer that will still be heading in the same dirrection as previously but will frequintly travel closer to they're ecscape rout than before and will sneak thru these areas - by adjusting your stand you may very well still be able to ambush them with an eliment of suprise however your 1st chance is always the best :wink:

9. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I guess I should of elobrated a little more...I was climbing into my ladder stand saturday afternoon (frog strangeler Saturday morning) I had just hung my back pack and heard a deer blow. Looked up and saw two deer running away. I sat the rest of the day but did not see anything. Was curiuos if I should of left the area stayed or what. How long before I hunt the area again. I really like this spot lots of acorns and plenty of deer. I also have a feeder in near the stand. Just curious on what you all would do. I have never went out and not seen deer at this sight.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i spot and stalk, so when i get busted and the deer are out of range i will back off, get out of sight, and circle wide and try to intercept the deer. if they are out of range and still spooked when i find them, i will back off totally and move to a new area. the deer will come back as long as you don't run them out of the country. mule deer are good to go the next day for another try, but whitetails i will give 3 or 4 days.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  11. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne

Bill, just follow your instincts. Might of been the day of pattern that they didn't use the area. Good luck

12. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I probably would have stayed on stand the rest of the day, even though I would have been mad about getting busted. The reason being, I've had too many deer that have come through, seen me, & then leave; then 20-30 minutes later more deer would come through. It's hard to say.

13. snomad

snomad New Member

State:
    Manitoba
    If the deer was one you were targeting and was sight busted I would leave it for at least a few days unless there was some abnormal draw for the deer like a food plot, etc. If they were just any deer I would probably just sit on stand and hope for either the targetted deer or just another deer.
    I have had two different bucks bust in thick bush from sound and not sight. I just became very still (and ready) and have had those bucks slowly but surely come back to investigate. You could hear them coming all the way. That's a blast. (no pun intended)

14. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    It really just depends on weather or not I am trying to push the deer or not.

In California I hunt Blacktails and often times they hold up in the thick stuff and have to be pushed out.

If I am hunting with others and trying to move the deer I will radio them and let them know where the deer is headed.

Hopefully they can get a shot.

If I am by myself and know their escape route then I will try and catch leaving.

However Blacktail have a nasty habit of trying to sneak out the back door.

If they are not headed out in a hurry I will whistle and see if they will present a shot.

Sometimes they will turn broadside and give you an open invitation.

I hunt all public land from the foothills to the national forest.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    I GO HOME:embarassed:

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    If a whitetail deer is alerted by only one sense it is probably ok, but if 2 or more it is gone. I've shot 2 deer that unexpectedly came up and saw me. I froze and after a minute they turned away. I wear bright orange in the woods, sometimes hard to see someone less than 100 yds away. I once had a young doe come up unexpectedly when I was sitting on a log and it stared at me but wasn't alarmed until I tried to get my rifle up. Another time I shot at a doe, but it wasn't alarmed until I pumped the shotgun and it saw movement. That doe was feeding close by and I walked up on it after smoking a cigarette upwind.