busted and disgusted

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by massa_jorge, Oct 12, 2009.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    we did a 2 day hike in to the backcountry of lake meredith, trying to fill our mule deer tags early. first day was a foggy start, and we sarted seeing deer right off the bat. i got busted by a monster buck, probably the biggest mule deer i have ever seen in texas. he was looking over a rock ledge at me 60 yards up. that's a little longer than i want to shoot, so i started devising a plan to stalk him. he had me figured out though, and was gone. i climbed up the bluff to where he was and the ground was too hard to leave tracks. i made the 1 1/2 miles back to the truck and saw 9 more deer, with 2 more bucks, on the way. all across canyons though. we crossed the lake and hiked through a much bigger canyon with several cuts. jumped a coyote out of the cactus and while we were sitting there watching him two small 6 point bucks walked up a ravine below us. i let an arrow fly and it went right over his shoulders. they disappeared over the ridge and i retrieved my arrow. after the usual ridicule from the guys, we decided to slip in to the next cut and look for bedded deer. when i got over the ridge the two 6 pointers were below me looking right at me. so i proceeded to shoot UNDER the bigger one. these downhill shots are killing me! the first day we saw 26 deer, the second day we saw 24 deer. the second day after lunch the temp dropped 20 degrees. it rained, then froze, then snowed. the fog x wasn't working on my glasses for crap. my buddies each missed a buck the first day as well. this is rough country so your heart rate will be racing almost the entire time. i have never hunted mulies with the bow before, it's been a humbling experience so far. not like bowhunting whitetails! had a a couple bobcats rummaging around in the boulders below me at the end of the first day, but i didn't want to break a broadhead shooting into the rocks. thanks for reading. hopefully my next post has a dead deer in it.

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    thanks for the update, keep us informed.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    here's a cut 3 miles back from the road. i saw the most deer here the first day. doesn't look too bad from a distance but it's a heck of a climb up or down!

Attached Files:

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    pretty country, hate that you busted. cant wait to see if you get that mule.

5. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    Wishing you beter luck out there,Thank's for the thread, Stay safe out there:cool2:

6. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    Really enjoyed your story thanks, I moved from Southern NV to Macon, TN. I can bowhunt mule deer but I'm having a hard time figuring white tails. I guess it's all what ur used to and being flexible enough to make the changes to outsmart the game your after. Really my problem is being able to move and see through this jungle I'm hunting in, lol. Good luck to ya and looking forward to seeing some trophy pics