Busch Wildlife

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by MississippiJugHead, May 14, 2007.

1. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It being Mother's Day and all I thought I would treat my wife and take her out for a suprise. Boy was she suprised when I pulled into the "August A. Busch Memorial Conservation Area". Who say's romance is dead? I had been wanting to fish but with the Mississippi so high my normal spot is under 4" of mud and probably 4" of river.

Desperate times call for desperate measures so I had already googled "busch wildlife" to search for information. There was nothing found in a BOC search. The official MDC website announced a special Mother's Day deal for all moms at the firing range so their heart was in the right place as well. A forum post (NON BOC) from a few years back called lake 7 the most polluted in the state. With 7 also being designated a catfish lake that was enough for me so off we went.

I had no problem following the map to old number 7. There were 10-15 people around the lake when we arrived. We picked a spot pretty much to ourselves and went to "work". I deployed my usually river tactic of attaching a goldfish to my hook and letting him do the rest. If he was successful in finding a catfish that would be great and if not I would have time to enjoy a few cold drinks.

My peaceful afternoon was thereafter only interupted by the occassional squeals of joy coming from a pair of young men across the pond, I mean, lake. It seems the boys had found a honey hole and were pulling out one catfish after another. During one particularly large outburst he announced that his bait had not been in the water 10 seconds before the bite. If they were not pulling out a fish they were breaking a line or so it seemed. After watching them for a while I asked them what they were using for bait and learned it was "stink bait". They offered to share their spot but it was time for us to go so we had to decline the generous offer.

Does anyone else fish Busch Wildlife or have any stories of when they did? I know the next time I go I will have a better idea of what works but I always enjoy hearing BOC thoughts.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sounds like you had a good time anyway. Next time do like those boys did
    Use Stink bait. Sonnys and Premo seem to work pretty well.Also take some chicken Liver with you.

3. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    If you don't mind fending off small gills use nightcrawlers. I've seen more fish caught on them than anything else on 7. They stock small eaters mostly.:big_smile_2:

4. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Find out an post up here about out there. THere are all kinds of parks around St Louis to hit when the rivers are flooded or dry.

5. ron h

ron h New Member

State:
    st peters mo
    have some good luck on lake 35 using plastic jigs for some bass but no catfish

6. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    There are bass, bluegill & channel cat stocked in all of the Busch lakes. Some lakes have additional species stocked. Even though there is a lot of fishing pressure during the year, there are always nice fish to be caught, most people who go out there aren't very good.:lol:

7. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis

HEY TW, YOU SHOULD TRY BOATHOUSE LAKE. I PUT 4 FLATTIES IN THERE
    LAST YEAR ALL OVER 10LBS. I JUST WISH I CAN BE THERE TO SEE THE LOOK ON SOMEONES FACE WHEN THEY HOOK UP WITH ONE OF THEM BOYS. I SEEN A LITTLE KID HAD HAD A NICE FISH. IT BROKE HIS LINE QUICK
    THAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN ONE OF THEM BIGGINS. MAN, EVEN KHOW HE DIDNT CATCH HIM HE WAS SO HAPPY PLUS IT PUT A SMILE ON MY FACE:smile2:
    CHECK IT OUT IF YOU HAVE TIME:smile2: :smile2:

8. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    LOL Arnold has a catfish tournament every fall that is fun to see em at. Last year they put in 4 albinos for special prizes along with a half a ton of other cats. I think there was 120 entrys as I gave a speech about the Sport of Catfishing after it was over. It was a great time just sitting there watching them all.

9. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Always had pretty good luck on Lakes 3, 5 and 7 using Bee Jay. Keep it in a cooler to keep it firm and it will stay on your hook longer.

10. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    have anyone ever tried hog wild
    I saw some at wal-mart thought i'll ask someone about it first

11. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    Gary,I like the back side of 37 with turkey or chicken liver,I've caught several eatin size cats there.:smile2:

12. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    lake 3 is a slow lake but there r some nice ones in there

13. rocko

rocko New Member

State:
    missouri
    THESE WHERE CAUGHT SAT, 8 ALL TOGETHER 2#S TO 4#S THREW BACK A WHOLE BUNCH SAME SIZE AND SMALLER. WE CAUGHT 31 CHANNEL FROM 3:45 TO 7:30 WITH TAKING BREAKS EVERY SO OFTEN {GOTTA FIGHT OFF THE BUGS, RESETTING RIGS,ETC.} . PICS WILL BE AT THE OUT POST IN ABOUT A WEEK THAT THEY TOOK. WHEN I SAY (WE) MY GIRLFRIEND AND I SLAUGHTERED THE CATFISH OVER THERE. :cool2:
    LOOK AT THE THREAD I STARTED ABOUT BUSCH WILDLIFE TODAY THAT IS WHERE THE PICS ARE.