busch wildlife area

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by catfisherman369, Jul 5, 2008.

1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    anyone ever fish busch wildlife area , if so whats the deal with the pond that says flatheads only 10 pound min. limit . this is what i was told i have never been there and wanted to get some info on it .

2. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fish there all the time, it depends on what lake you are on. There is a 4 catfish limit and flatheads have to be above 24 inches to keep. If you want to go after the bigger cats head over to lake 33, if you want eater sized channels get on lakes 3,4,5,7,24, outta personal experience i generally do best on lakes 7 and 24. Lake 33 is slower fishing due to its obvious size difference compaired to the other lakes. Bait for these lakes, well i have found that it depends on the day really, but most of the time i catch them all on sonnys, secret 7 and shrimp.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Is this the area north of 4 rivers conservation area? I deer hunt on the south end of it some if it is.

4. Philiagorillia

Philiagorillia New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nope, you are thinking of August A. Busch Jr. conservation area in western mo.

5. LloydTheFisherman

LloydTheFisherman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I plan on going to Busch Wildlife CA either around 9am on Sat or 4am on Sunday. I hate to miss church though, I guess one Sunday will not hurt me though. I want to get some of those delicious catfish. But I will take anything I can get as long as it meets the Regs.

I will come back and type a report on how I do. Plan on taking about 18 nightcrawlers and a dozen Med. Shad and of course my artificials that don't work. I use them in case I catch my limit of catfish, then I can get some crappie or bluegill to go with them. I doubt I catch a bass. However, I tell you if I hook one of those 18" monsters, I am eating him.

I thought I read somewhere, it is ok to take the older fish out 1. They eat more food resources than other up and coming fish and 2. They are older, thus closer to dying. Am I wrong for this. If so I will catch only catfish, crappie and bluegill, never caught a eating size bass yet anyways. I through the little ones back unless fately hooked, some have swallowed my hool hook and when I get it out they bled and die right there. But now I have learned to just cut the hook and let them have it and they say the small bass will live, is this true? I have no problem with that either.

I don't ahve that problem with catfish I only caught six so far and four were keepers. I like catfishing and bluegill better. They seem to be easier to catch from the bank in the summer months to me.

OK I have typed enough. I want to be a good catfisherman and follow all the rules of the fishing world. I do pick uip my litter to, I never leave my area trashy. So if I do something wrong, please feel free to correct me. Remember I am a new fisherman and this is my first real year of fishing.

Thanks and may your lines stay tight.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Yes, you are, no easy way to say it. At least if you are speaking of catfish living in either rivers or lakes. Not sure about small ponds. Not sure where to begin on this, as there are so many directions to go with it. Ok, your first, availability of food resorces effect the entire population, but unless it gets way out of ballence, fish of all sizes will adapt and simply be smaller fish. Do to fish metabolism and growth rate, small fish grow larger much quicker than one that is already big. Big fish take a long time to grow, total weight percentage wise. Thus, it appears that a smaller catfish could easily eat more than a slightly larger one. Either way, it's not as big a problem as I said, fish adjust to food availability. When food is scarce, the just lose weight instead of growing. As for the second part, catfish can live a very long time. I don't remember the figures, but 25+ years is not that uncommon. Of course, it would make a difference on whether we are talking bullhead, channel, blue, or flathead. Each would have their own time span.

Keep in mind that older fish have the most toxins and other contaminants in their bodies which if you eat those fish, you now have those in you. Besides, many folks think young fish taste better. I don't agree, but who am I to say.

You are quite correct. Most hooks in the sizes you seem to be using, will rust away in no time. Some of the large stainless ones that some of us use, well, that's a different story. You will find that many of us now use a hook called a "circle" design. These type hooks almost never gut hook the fish. They only catch in the corners of the mouth, it seems. I have been using them for about 8 years now and try as I might, I can't remember one fish gut hooked with them.
    It is nice to hear of folks like you who are real conservationist and sportsmen. You sound like you got a great attitude. Believe me, around here, we respect those who have your thinking. As long as you are legal, there is no "wrong" to correct. We may or may not agree on some things, but I have no right to "correct" you. We may just fish different, that's all.

We have got to get you on some fish!!! I've got some vacation coming up next week. Is there a date or time that you could be free to allow me to treat you to a little fishing? I only fish the Mississippi River and my boat is quite comfortable.

7. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm up in Kansas going to school, but my family just moved out by Busch's Wildlife, so I'm looking forward to getting out there sometime to catch some channels!

8. LloydTheFisherman

State:
    Illinois
    I am available anytime next week for fishing. Thank you so much for thinking kindly of me.

9. bhuey29

bhuey29 New Member

State:
    Excelsior SpringsMissouri
    Guys I have fished it many times. But since have moved to KC. I wish we had areas like that around here. If you rent a row boat on lake 33 and fish with Chicken livers & sunfish around all the stumps in the south and west areas is where I have had the best luck. FLATTY's galore. LOVE IT.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Brad. I have a farm north of Polo.

11. bhuey29

bhuey29 New Member

State:
    Excelsior SpringsMissouri
    I have family from the Braymer area. My grandparents had a farm off of A hiway long ago. And have hunted Bonanza a few times.

Beautiful country.

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    2 miles east of Bonanza. B hwy.

13. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have fished there a lot and have never heard of that regulation. I do know you are allowed 1 flathead and it must be 24" length. You are only allowed 4 catfish and 1 can be the flathead as long as it meets that regulation. I have great success on lake 5 with a dip bait called Premo in blood flavor using the worms with holes in them. I have caught more fish with that there than any other lake out there. I have caught fish in as little as 2 minutes of being there and have really pissed folks off who have been there all day using worms. My "secret" spots are the little area to the left of the parking lot back along the trail in which you have to walk to an area with a large shade tree that juts out into the back cove. It has a table and looks like an island at first. If you want eaters cast to the left of that area in the cove. I have caught real decent ones directly in front of that area casting to the point on the other side of the cove. Another spot is almost halfway along the levee marked #2 in the photo. Third spot is between the two trees along the levee making casts to the left and right towards the point. I have limited out every time using these areas using Premo.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  14. LloydTheFisherman

State:
    Illinois
    OK went there and no catfish bites. But as far as that goes, I have not had a catfish bite at either Mississippi or Missouri River. Well I take that back, on Moday I caught the biggest fish in my life at the Missouri. I used 4# test and when I got it to the bank, it broke my line but not until I had it well on shore. Si I guess it was about 3-4 ponds. That was the biggest catfish I ever caught.

I am going to Cabalas tomorrow to upgrade my line to 6# pond Braid Line. I am considering getting a new catfish rig, but if they are bitting like this I doubt it. But a six or seven pound cat woudl be nice. If I catch two or three that size, I would be doing grea, well maybe four or five.

I did catc a my limit on bluegill, Busch is great for that, but zero on catfish. While I was there they did not have any cards showing the main catfish lakes, but the ones I went to was supposed to have had them. I was there at 5:45am they don't open until 6am but I figured a few minutes would not hurt and all I caught was the bluegill. I don't think I am going back unless I want bluegill or to practice, but that is just to far.

I think the local lakes or better for catfish than an hour drive for bluegill. I have a pond less than 2 miles away if all I want is bluegill.

15. morivercatfisher

morivercatfisher New Member

State:
    missouri
    Too bad they dont let you fish on lake 15. Me and my daughter won two kids fishing tourneys there for her school. Biggest bass 22inch. biggest cat was around 7 or 8 lbs. Sucks they dont do it anymore. Thats funny i like to go to lake 5 and fish off the island had some decent ones there. Hey you ever tryed around back left side of lake 24? you should try it not a long walk either. also around back side past the spillway on lake 33 on the back parking lot we used to walk up the trail and make a right and walk a half a mile or so that had some big ones. ive been thinking about renting a boat and going there soon.

16. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    All lakes at Busch Wildlife are stocked with bass, bluegill and channel catfish. Individual lakes have been stocked with additional species. Don't get hung up on fishing just one or a few lakes, you should try new ones every so often, you can be pleasantly surprised.