Burping

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by cumberlandcat, Jan 16, 2008.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Can someone tell me where I find the info on burping cats outa deep water I can't find it in the library. I have been pulling lots of fish outa deep water and need to burp them properly.
    Thanks

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    the way i have say it done was with a piece of 3/4 or 1 inch pvc and it was just stuck down the throat until they "burped" and released the pressure.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Ever catch a cat from deep water and its belly was bloated looking and very firm? When a fish is in deep water the air in its swim bladder is compressed from all the pressure around the fish. When the fish is brought up quickly this compressed air expands as the pressure comes off of it and causes the fish to bloat. Normally a fish can equalize the pressure on is own as is rises, but not when pulled up quickly as often happens when we catch one. A fish that is bloated like this can not dive untill the air is released either naturally, or with a little help and will struggle on the surface and could die. Sometimes a cat will burp on its own when a little gentle pressure is applied to its belly by a hand or when lying on the bottom of a boat. If not, a small pipe can be inserted gently down it's throat until the air is released. Be carefull not to have your face in line with the pipe because often a little gift may come out along with the air:eek:oooh::smile2:. I use a ½ inch pvc pipe with the ends smoothed off for this.

you will hear alot of people say to stick them with a needle.. DONT DO THAT! IT WILL KILL THEM. they will swim away at first, but it inhibits their ability to properly swim and suspend and eventually leads to mortality

4. Drum

Drum New Member

State:
    McEwen, TN
    Intresting. I had no idea...

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks, I didn't know if there was a way to round the end to make it easier on them but I think I got it.

6. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    iv'e only seen ppl stick red snapper w/ hook when throwing them back, dont think it would be good for a cat though!!!!

7. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Go to the All Catfishing forum and use search forum using the keyword burp and some good info will come up.

8. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    fish that come out of deep water (too fast), will often get bloated ,whether the water is cold or hot, and will need to be burped so too say. alot of guys will use a burping stick which is made of 1/2 pvc. the idea is to run this pipe down there throat to release this gas (pressure). a tournament anglers mentality is to get that fish in the boat as quickly as possible. i myself is guilty of this, but i have discovered that the fish will burp themselves if you play them a little longer, take your time and feel the fight , as you are fighting your fish slowly they will do what i call a blow off, i always try to gauge the size of the fish by there blow off .ive seen small bubbles and ive seen what looked like someone opened a 5 gal bucket of air, thats when you know you got a big one, thats an exciting scene. it makes for a much more rememberable experience at the end of the day. so remember guys take your time and you shouldnt have to run a pipe down there gullet.

9. Ricky Dills

Ricky Dills New Member

State:
    Corryton, Tenne
    Thanks for the info guys very useful info never thought of the pvc great catch and realease tool