Burping stick

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by jason berry, Aug 29, 2008.

1. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I have been fishing really deep water and alot of the blue cats have had air pockets in their stomachs from bringing them up to the top from the deep. I have seen burping sticks on tv. They looked like they were made out of PC pipe could anybody give me some info on the size and if there flat on each side or if theres anything else I need to do to it. Thanks

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Just use 1/2 inch pvc pipe about 2 foot long. Be sure to smooth off both ends so it will slide in easy with no damage to the fish.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i must be a cave man this is first time iv heard of a burping rod lol lernd some thing new today:cool2:

4. sqlhawkn

sqlhawkn New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sure it can't smell too good either!

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Your right on that Matt. Welcome to the BOC.

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    welcome to the boc matt

7. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    Matt, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web! I posted this the other day, I'll post it again here to explain it a little.

Ever catch a cat from deep water and its belly was bloated looking and very firm? When a fish is in deep water the air in its swim bladder is compressed from all the pressure around the fish. When the fish is brought up to quickly this compressed air expands as the pressure comes off of it and causes the fish to bloat. Normally a fish can equalize the pressure on is own as is rises, but not when pulled up quickly as often happens when we catch one. A fish that is bloated like this can not dive untill the air is released either naturally, or with a little help and will struggle on the surface and could die. Sometimes a cat will burp on its own when a little gentle pressure is applied to its belly by a hand or when lying on the bottom of a boat. If not, a small pipe can be inserted gently down it's throat until the air is released. Be carefull not to have your face in line with the pipe because often a little gift may come out along with the air :eek:oooh::smile2: . I use a ½ inch pvc pipe with the ends smoothed off for this.
    you will hear alot of people say to stick them with a needle.. DONT DO THAT! IT WILL KILL THEM. they will swim away at first, but it inhibits their ability to properly swim and suspend and eventually leads to mortality. As mentioned if you will bring them up slow that is the best but in the excitement sometimes we forget.

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks 777 for the insite

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    its so easy a cave man can do it

10. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR

An hillbillies to :smile2:.

11. Earl1

Earl1 New Member

State:
    wooodbridg

bring them up a little slower ing you willsee the bubbles they let out as you bring them up that way you do not have to run tube down them :smile2:

12. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Yeah, I have seen a number of posts on the burping stick deal. Many folks suggest bringing them up slower and enjoying the fight rather than using a stick. I completely agree with that method. Even a little rub on the belly will get the fish to burp if you do bring one up too fast from deep water. Most of mine burp when I am unhooking, photographing or weighing the fish. I have never had to use a stick.

13. 10uhcplz

10uhcplz New Member

State:
    Jackson Tenness
    I'm gonna ask a stupid question.....
    Do ya'll think that's what is going on when I see bubbles surface sometime at the lake I fish at? Maybe some cats surfacing or at least coming up half way?

14. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Thats more than likely methane gas coming from the bottom.

15. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the info 777. I'll for sure have a piece of pvc in the boat from now on, for just in case. Thanks!!!

16. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've also heard of using about 2-3 feet of garden hose with the male end. The garden hose is more flexible and the male connector is rounded and non abrasive.

17. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Im glad to see this thread has popped up. Me and a buddy were fishing the river last year and caught 4 bluecats out of 45 feet of water. He had a large pond dug and wanted a few bluecats in his pond along with the channel cats that he had brought in by truck. We are BIG catch and release fans and cringe at the sight of a dead catfish. We handled these fish with the best care you could ever imagine. As soon as caught we put them in one of the large tournament size live bags sold by catfishconnections. The fish were transported on a 15 minute truck ride in a 65 gallon tank with an aireator system. These fish all died. It absolutely made us sick and made us feel bad for evan thinkin about the loss of the fish. That night we noticed that the fish had very rock hard stomaches and with us being beginners just thought the fish had been feeding very heavily. I asked the question of why these fish would have died on catfish1 and someone asked me if I caught the fish out of deep water. Told him yes and he said that many fish that arent burped when brought out of deep water will die evan if they are released immediately. The next week we caught several blues and burped them with a 1/2" 2 foot long piece of pvc and man did it work good! The pvc slides down there throats so gently you can push it with your pinky. you would be surprised how much air was released and you could just see there bloated stomaches deflate. We tried to take one of the fish home and it was just as alive as can be when we got it home. We only tried taking one fish due to the fact we didnt want to kill several fish if this didnt work. Since then we have put 5 other blues in his pond between 10 and 15 lbs and they all lived and they were all caught in deep water, put in the live bag, and transported in the same tank! That right there proves that the burping does work. It will save fish, I am a firm believer in that now. yeah fish swim off when you first put them back but do all of them live after being brought out of super deep water. Just My .02, I don't think so. I know that people say "holy cow you jam a piece of pipe down a catfishes throat, that cant be good for them." Let me tell ya, that piece of pvc is a more than likely smaller than the piece of bait you caught it on!! Im sure it may be uncomfortable for them but if it saves them to swim and be caught again, Well im all for it. I really wish that Biologists would do a study on this to be honest that way we would really know because this is just my opinion but the 4 dead fish died and werent burped, the five fish that did live were burped. Thats all the proof that I need.

18. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
  19. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I was trying to find that video last night!! Thanks for finding it for everyone! Everyone that watches will see that they are applying very little pressure to get the pvc in the fishes throat. Like I said, if I hadnt witnessed fish dieing first hand from not being burped I wouldnt stress this method so much but if I can save a few fish and help someone out I will do so and thanks again jerry9497 for posting that video!

20. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Great POST learned something new ! Thanks BOC ers !