Burping Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Katmaster Jr., Oct 3, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I have heard a lot of people talking about how you have to burp fish that you catch from deep water if you plan on releasing them. When we went out with a guide he showed us how he does it, he sticks this pipe thing down the fishes throat and it pops something, or pushes it down, and the fish swims off.

When my dad got his 40lber Sunday, the fish was doing bad until we did what the guide showed us, then the fish swam off fine.

I just don't really understand what exactly the pipe down the throat does to them? How do you all do it?

2. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I have done it a few times to Blues on the Ohio river when you insert the pipe into there gullet you will hear a swoosh and the air that has been in there is relieved, anytime we see them all bulged out or when we put them in the livewell and they float belly up they are going to get burped..........Doc

3. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    how long and what dia is this pipe, oh and what do you use for this pipe.

clayton

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Gollee Doc I thought you were suppose to put them on your shoulder and burp them like a kid.:lol: :lol:

Seriously though, I have heard of this but never done it. Is this caused from bringing them to the surface to fast.

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Oh ok, my dad said when he did it on his fish he felt something change and that's when the fish kicked off normally. And when we pulled it up it was really bloated looking, mouth looked like it was stuck open.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ours is probably about 1/2 inch thick, and 15 inches long, it's actually a white rubber pole that was on the top of our motor where the previous owner had a flag or something and we broke it off to use. I think you can just cut a PVC pipe up to use, that's what the guide we went out with one time had.

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Zakk, there is some good info on the forum about venting with a pvc pipe as mentioned; be sure to round over any sharp edges. Here is a link that shows a different method, too. I haven't used it myself, but I've seen others do it.
    http://www.flseagrant.org/program_areas/fisheries/venting/