The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While anchored on an incoming tide this afternoon a blue somewhere in the 40lb range floated by us belly up, at first I thought it was dead until it smacked its tail and attempted to dive only to rapid float back up, this time it did a lot of thrashing and really seemed to by trying to get down. Before we could reel everything in he finally made one more dive and never surfaced again. There were right many boats out but none in sight and we could see at least 350 yards down river. I can only guess but I’d say he was brought up too quick.

·
Administrator
10,647 Posts
I would agree. Actually happens quite often. It is important to let your fish decompress when bringing them up.

I have seen people physically burp them by SLOWLY lowering their stomach on their knee. Or, using a piece of small tubing and carefully sliding it down their throat. I don't know if either of the last two methods are safe for the fish so I just let them blow their bubble as I bring them up.

Steve Douglas has been very good about mentioning this when he brings up a fish from deep water.

tight lines.

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
733 Posts
You can manually burp them pretty easy. Smaller ones just press there belly twoards there mouth. Ive seen steve run his fingers down the throat of larger ones.

I prefer to get them off the bottom quickly and then take it easy the rest of the way. I have never had one float back up after seeing them release bubbles on thier own.

Reactions: SteveMcK

·
Registered
258 Posts
I catch lots of cats deep and I just let them hang out in my net besides the boat. It helps them recover and burp themself. I have let them go only to see them come up behind the boat I'll run them down and put them back in the net for some time. Once they go to thrashing around they are usually ready to go back to the deep. I don't know about sticking anything down there throat. Usually if you take your time they will burp themselves while still on the hook.

·
Registered
Big Sam Arkansas
5,851 Posts
Except when your tournament fishing you can deal daily around your fish has to go and live well... And it's not going to be good if he's floating upside down...
Get a piece of PVC pipe I use one inch sand It down smooth on the end get a piece of shrink wrap cover your whole pipe shrink it down and when you get to fish in the boat wet the pipe always and use it right down the middle turning it clockwise you don't have to shove it or be rough it'll go Right in and the air will come right out and we'll be right as rain.....

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Seen the PVC method used on a U tube vid. don't recall who's it was but I have never used it. We just bring them up slowly until we see bubbles then give them a little more time before landing. Been a long time since we had one go belly up on us. .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts