Burp! explanation of the catfish air bladder system

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jim, Oct 10, 2005.

1. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    On page 11 of the new In-Fisherman magazine is a good explanation of the catfish air bladder system and how to burp a fish from deep water.I use 1/2 in PVC and sand the edge smooth so as not to injure the fish.

2. whiskers

whiskers New Member

State:
    colorado
    why would you want to burp a fish?

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'm not the expert on this subject, but from what I know, very briefly, Whiskers, when you bring a fish up from very deep water rapidly, the fish can't get rid of the air in the swim bladder fast enough. The air expands and can kill or injure the fish. In order to release it with the best chance of recovery, the burping procedure is used, the method Jim mentions involves inserting a small diameter tube (pvc) down the throat into the bladder, releasing the excess air. The other option is to bring the fish in more slowly, so that the air is purged as the fish comes shallow. There are some who think this method tires the fish too much, and they may not survive as well, even with burping, and others who think bringing them up rapidly is more harmful.

4. Marshallmth

Marshallmth New Member

State:
    Dayton Ohio Area
    Yeah, I like that Artical too. in Fisherman is a good mag. I just wish I could find a Magazine on nothing but just catfishing. I cant seem to find one though.

5. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    my son is a ba$$ tournament fisherman. he was telling me he takes a hypodermic needle and sticks it in the fish to release the pressure. i've never seen it done and had never heard of such a thing till he was talking about it.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    There was quite a bit of discussion recently on here about the needle thing.It has been a common if not well known technique for years.I prefer to do the burp because I hate to puncture a fish.He might be fine when you do it but who knows what happens later from the puncture small as it is.

7. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    There used to be one, now I can't find any one magazine that is devoted to catfishing! :cursing: Are we just the forgotten ones or what?

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    stickthrower, fear not, ACATS is coming out with one very soon!

9. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    What about the Catfish insider, from infisherman?