"burn powder"

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CraigO, Jan 15, 2009.

1. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    Just some food for thought...

I'm a relatively young guy (30) and I just got my first boat. Been a life-long fisherman, but it's always been limited to bank fishing (which I love) and tagging along with others. Now I find myself coming here and to other fishing forums asking questions to get a quick fix and easy answers to loading up the boat with fish. It reminds me of something an old man told me about 15 years ago, a man who mentored me and helped raise me after the loss of my father as a child. We coon hunted together maybe 20 or 30 nights a year and I was amazed at what a good shot he was, especially at night. I asked him how he could shoot so good and he looked at me and said, "Son, you gotta burn powder." In other words, shoot, shoot, then shoot some more. That brings me back to my earlier comment...

In fishing, there is no substitute for time on the water. Time on the water does not guarantee you will become a great fisherman, but time OFF the water guarantees you won't. Anything in life that's worth doing, whether it's catching fish or whatever, is worth putting in the time and effort. I find myself guilty of looking for an easy way out sometimes when the real answer is to put in the time and work. If I'm going to become a great fisherman, or father, or husband or anything else, it's going to be because I work for it, not because someone gave it to me. Getting the knowledge is necessary, but applying it is of the most importance. There's no substitution for "burnin' powder," no matter what form that comes in in our lives. Good fishin and burn powder!

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with you ...there is no better teacher than experience!:wink:

3. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
  4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Your a smart young man. Listen to your elders. LOL

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Got your reps started, for a good post!

Bill in SC

6. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    There is nothing that beats just getting out there and doing it. You will learn more from your mistakes, and figure out what mistakes you better not make again. You will also have a sense of accomplishment the times that everything works out just right.

7. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Now that is a good post and i'm proud to see it is from a Texas brother.

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Excellent post Craig,Thanks and follow that advice you just gave.Good Luck on the water and Life,J.D.

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Very wise young man and I'd rep you if I could I like that term Burn Powder and your mentor must been a awsome man or still is to believe in you and spend that quality time out shootin ya:wink: RIGHT ON & good luck out on the water I am gonna be watchin fer some reports dude:cool2:

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for a good post. I agree your comments deserve some reps.

11. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    OK. I just felt like posting what I said... it was kinda burning on me. How di I enable rep points?

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Welcome to the BOC, you're gonna fit right in,,,,,
    Thanks for the great post...

13. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    They are totaled automatically,, at the bottom right of your post, count.:wink:

Great post ,Well spoken words.. and welcome to the BOC Brother.

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Sending some reps for a great post brother Craig:wink: