Burlap Sack for chum

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by dominoman, Jul 21, 2008.

1. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Anyone use burlap feed sacks for chum? Looking to try range cubes in them for baiting a spot.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't chum much, but I've definitely heard of using them for that purpose.

3. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I have used it many times. I put 25 lbs in the sack, tie a rock to it to keep it in one place, and start catching cats a day or two later. Carp will find it also and that adds another level to gettting your pole bent. Catfishjon

4. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    You'll get faster results if you use an onion sack, mesh laundry bag or one of those mesh bags that you get when you buy a ham or a turkey. Put about 3 or 4 lbs. of range cubes in the bag and hang it over the side of the boat about 3 or 4 feet off of the bottom. Shake the bag about every 15 minutes or so if the boat isn't rocking much from the waves.

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    the bags that oranges and apples come in work well too:wink:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've used the Burlap Sack and the onion sack. You will get quicker action with the onion sack. Many times the fish will bump the onion sack to try and dispense more cubes.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    And if you don't think that catfish are smart enough to do that, you're mistaken. A couple of years ago, several large blues had to be removed from Lake Ouachita because they were slamming up against the nets of the fish rearing pens, causing the floating food to wash over the net so they could eat it.

8. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    What is a range cube? Like a salt block?

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I use a burlap sack for chum. I put corn in it and then put it in a 5 gal bucket and soak it till it sours. I then put a brick in it and take the bucket and all out to the lake or river to place it where I want. Upon arriving at my destination I will take some of the corn out of the sack and spread it around to create a bigger attraction area. I then tie the sack closed, tie a rope on it and sink it. I tie a jug on the end of the rope and let the jug sink also just below the surface so that I can easily find it. This works well for small cats and sometimes will bring in some decent ones too.

10. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Getting hard to find burlap these days. Ive got my mil picking up all the garage sale pillow cases she sees. Make a lot of little slits with a knife. where do you guys get your burlap?

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You can often find burlap bags at your local feed store.

12. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Someone does....Johnny hung one at Fork!!!:eek:oooh: and got it to the boat!!:tounge_out: Bet it weighed 40lbs!!!!:smile2: It wasnt yours was it???:wink:

13. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    find one of those restaurants that puts peanuts out on the table for you to snack on while you wait for your dinner. They get their peanuts in large burlap bags. Ask them if they return them or if you can get a few from them.

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    That 40 lb. sack was no match for the 100 lb. power pro :smile2:.