Burgers?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Matthew72, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    :smile2:What do yall like to do to your burgers to make them special?
    Like, do you use a certain kind of cheese or pickles?
    Do you prefer hot or mild onions?
    I would really like to know.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nothin like a bit of hickory wood on the charcoal to highten the flavor. My favorite add on is roasted green chilie,The hotter the better for me.:wink:

3. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Sometimes we mix that old standby Lipton Onion soup in the mix of hamburger, sometimes we just do all kinds of spices and then really deck it with tomato onion jalapenos pickles either on it or on the side, and anything else we happen to have on hand. Not a big lettuce liker on hamburger for some reason, I can live with it or without it. I like southwest sauce or ranch on mine, or use BOTH mustard and Miracle Whip, one on the top bun one one the bottom!

Sometimes NOTHING is better than a good old grilled burger with all the fixins!

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Matthew we love to just go to Polar Whip in Herrin. They make them just right and they are cheaper than we can make them. I wish I had a dime for everyone I have eaten over the years.

5. nannycat

nannycat New Member

State:
    mid AZ
    Lean meat is always a good way to start (the meat doesn't shrink as much)...I try different spices all the time and like to add a raw egg in the mix.... A BIG bun....a must...then when you pile on your stuff...it's the order of the pile that makes it really great....and big !! Try adding a fried egg...no really..it's yummy ! and a slice of ham..along with lettuce, tomato, pickles or relish, and mayo, mustard (regular or spicy), ketchup..and your favorite real cheese................good luck!

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Hand mix in some pecante sauce, hot, mild or spicy to your taste straight out of the jar. This is really good whether you are pan frying or grilling the burgers.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Oh yeah, and using your arm pits to smash out the burgers adds a little kick to :smile2:j/k.

8. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    This all sounds so good.
    Where in Herrin is Polar Whip?
    I like to have a lot of cheese and pickles and Mayo.

9. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i like to add a big thick slice of fried boloney on mine with hot pepper cheese

10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Great answer. Cuz

----------------------------------
    I like old fashion the best with all the fixins on it. some Jal pepper slices, pickles, mustard Miracle Whip, lettuce onion and tomato if they are fresh , salt and pepper. I can do with or without cheese. .Like pepper jack cheese. some beacon slices too usually dont mix anything with the meat but salt and pepper. Now and then we do mix other stuff like Cher does.
    love em grilled with hickory, mesquite wood etc.
    I also like making the patties myself instead of buying those pre made ones.

Cant beat a good home made Hamburger all the way

now look what you done. I'm hungry for a burger.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    At various times, I'll add all sorts of things to a cooked burger, but I have to keep the burger itself pretty tame because some members of the family want it that way. (Gotta keep the wife happy, right?) But for the burger itself, I like to use regular hamburger. Yeah, I know it shrinks up, but that fat gives the burger a lot of flavor before it cooks out. And simply making the burger bigger allows for the shrinkage. Sometimes I'll add a little bread or oatmeal; but I don't add nearly as much as I would for meatloaf. I make the patty 1/2"-3/4" thick so it will be nice and juicy. Finally, I cook it so that it is just barely NOT pink in the middle. I want it cooked completely for safety's sake, but no more than that. Use a sesame seed bun or onion roll, or even sliced bread, if that's what you prefer; then add the other stuff, to taste: mayo, mustard, steak sauce, pickles, hot peppers, cheese (american, cheddar, swiss, pepper jack, mozzarella, blue, etc.), tomato, onion, lettuce, and anything else that strikes your fancy. Now come the problems. How to keep it from dripping all over you while you eat it. How to open your mouth wide enough to take a bite. How to keep from eating so much that you're miserable afterward.
    Come to think of it, burgers DO sound good for supper tonight! :002:

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Matthew Polar Whip is located on route 148 on the north end of Energy. It is in Herrin City Limits. Left side of road. You make one trip and you will keep going back. I always order mine with extra onions. Believe it our not but they once sold them for 10 cents each now a little more.

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I've doctored up ground beef for burgers every way that's been mentioned, and I do like the Lipton Onion soup mix once in a while.

For burgers I think chuck makes the best tasting ones.... I usually try to go a li'l leaner - sirloin or round, if it's on sale. I throw a palmful of oatmeal or cracker crumbs in the bowl and soak that good with worchestershire sauce. Shake in some onion and garlic powders, seasoned pepper, thyme, salt. Mix well with hands. I have my mom's hamburger press she got for a wedding present in 1960. Metal, with a li'l blade type thing that turns with a knob from the other side. It works well for shaping the burgers; I usually overfill it a bit and then press 'em out wider and flatter. I make 1/4 lb burgers. If you need a big thick one, put two on your bun. :smile2:

Toppings.....I like just about anything and never stick to the SAME thing every time I eat burgers. I'd prob'ly have to say mushroom and swiss burgers are my favorite though. Black and bleu burgers are good if you like bleu cheese....blackened seasoning on the burger, bleu cheese, bacon, lettuce and tomato.

Speaking of bacon, adding some crunchy bacon bits to your hamburger meat before mixing makes some tasty burgers too.

You've done it now Matthew, the next few days it's supposed to be 75 degrees and sunny here. I know what's for supper at least one of those evenings. :cool2: