Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

bunk material

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  ferdthe4 
#1 ·
Purchased a used tandem boat trailer and it needs new bunk boards.Just wandering what kind of wood or composite has been used . Something that last for a good while.24 ft seaark that should have came with tandem axle trailer.

#2 ·
Can't help a lot Mark but treated wood and aluminum do nor mix well. I have been told it will Pitt the aluminum. If you have carpet in between you should be ok but some won't use treated wood anyway. You might give some thought to the Slick bunk systems. Basically plastic runners on the wood. On top of the carpet or without carpet and just attached to the wood bunk. Screws are all countersunk so no problem there.

The only warning is the boat will slide many times easier so do NOT unhook it before backing down the ramp or it could end up on the concrete. Also make sire your straps are good because it can slide so easily. Many I have seen will leave a little carpet in place to keep the boat from sliding too easily.

See what the other members think and do you research before you make any decisions.

I have the slick bunks for two of my boats but have not installed then yet.

tight lines

#6 ·
Yes the ones I have are different. I have seen yours and watched a video of it being installed. I was just meaning I went with a different brand. The in essence do the same thing but stall a little different.

since carpet on the bunks is not needed for the ones I have, I may put new wood on and just put the slick pads right on the wood with no carpet. Still deciding.

#10 ·
I use treated 2x4s then I put a few heavy coats of Thompson's water seal and let them set in the hot sun. I did that for 3 days that was 12 years ago I am now just putting on new carpet that wore out. And the wood looks really good yet for it's age and use. I have a 16' 7" Polar Craft boat all aluminum with ice runners with a 60hp Evinrude boat and motor are 1982 I think the trail is the same age.

#13 ·
Marykate Liquid Rollers Trailer Bunk Boards Lubricant, 10 oz. is about $14 a can from Overton's.
I installed Overton's Trailer Bunk Glide-On Kit over the existing carpet (it was getting pretty worn) for just over $100.
Nice, slick. They are pre-formed to fit over a 2x4.
Have to slow down more when loading so I don't hit the winch!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.