Bunk guides for my trailer

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by rzrbk24, Jul 18, 2006.

1. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    Anybody know where I can buy a cheap priced set of short bunk guides for my trailer. I have a 12 jon boat and I just bought a new trailer for it. The only problem I have with this new trailer is loading the boat without the guides. I don't have an outboard so I can't power the boat onto the trailer. I have to back it into the water a good ways. But when I get out to winch it up, the back of the boat (thats still in the water) floats all over the place. With the guides in place I won't have to worry about that. The cheapest I can find is around $75-$100. That seems a little pricey for a couple of pieces of aluminum, 2x4s and some carpet.

2. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    One of my buddies bought a set from Agri Supply in Garner NC (919) 772-0865. I think he paid about $60.00...

You might want to wait to go there because they are in the process of moving all their inventory into the new building but go ahead and give them a call, I would hate for you to drive there and not have them in stock or still in the old bldg. Also check Northern Tool and equipment...they have them just not sure the price...

3. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    Thanks, I check Northern Tool first. How far is Garner from Fayetteville?

4. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    If you know someone with a welder, have them weld some on and bend the em out. and use carrage bolts and mount a carpet covered 2x4, if not a welding shop shouldn't charge very much it won't take a 1/2 hour.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Think Lyle hit the best answer for your needs. If you don't know anyone with a welder, a shop should make you some pretty cheap - probably 35.00 to 40.00. They actually can be made of wood if your not going to be banging into them with a boat powered by a motor. They don't have to be much. Put your mind to it and I'm sure you can find some design from just hose clamps and a 2 X 2.

6. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Garner to Fayetteville is about 45 min. to an hour depending on where in Fayetteville you live. James take 95 north to the highway 70 exit. Take 70 west toward Garner and agri-supply is about a mile on you right. Make sure you call first like I said previously hate to see you make a trip for nothing.

7. 710split

710split New Member

State:
    iowa
    Just yesterday at work a guy was telling me how he re-fabbed his Jon boat trailer. It has 4 bunks. He bought some teflon "Glide Stiks" ?? from Cabelas and mounted them on 2x4s. He backs the trailer into the water just enough to put a couple of inches of the teflon guides under water and drives the boat right up to the crank. The boat moves straight up and center of the trailer because the ribs position the boat perfectly next to the teflon guides.

But: if he takes off the rope from the boat too early on the ramp, the boat will easily slide off the trailer onto the boat ramp.

Bottom Line: He is very, very happy with the arrangement.

8. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    John, thanks but I actually found a cheap set online yesterday. Found them on www.trailerpartsdepot.com in case anyone else needs a set. I paid $19.95 plus shipping.

Dan, thanks for the review of the glide sliks. I do want to get some of those eventually

9. jim701

jim701 New Member

State:
    indiana
    weld a piece of small tubing on the sides and put pvc pipe over them with a cap.as you back in the water the pipe will float up the tubing and guide you on the trailer and hold the back in place.