bungee cord question

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by riverlover, May 20, 2008.

1. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i'm going to try a new technique. i have heard on limblines to use intertube but would a rubber bungee work the same or not. :confused2::tounge_out::confused2:

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    yes they do thats what we use just put a nail in a log and then put bungy over it then bend nail works fine for us

3. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use to use them extensively. Very effective method for catching big catfish. The only problem I've had is in beating the other fisherman to my catch. If you can tie them to tree limbs that are submerged may work the best (if your in an area of a lot of unethical fisherman).

4. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    hey thanks for the good advise. it would be hard for a fisherman at asn't caught any thing all day to pass a bounceing branch:big_smile:

5. Roscoe Dog

Roscoe Dog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A friend of mine uses a spring on the main line.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've used inner tube for years if i can't find a good green limb close to the water. If i tie off to a snag, i always use innertube.

7. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    HOW LONG OF AN INNERTUBE

8. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    I actually prefer to use a bungee cord they are fairly cheap. Not to mention i have had people recognize the inner tube when i use them but i seem to have fewer robbings when i use a bungeee cord i guess they dont seem to think its a brush line. good luck:big_smile:

9. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    Intertubes will work,,,,,,,I use the black rubber straps, 18-21 inches long. I don't nail to the log/limb, I tye to it and my rubber strap is underwater. A little hard to see a string tyed to log then a nailed intertube, I don't need help checking my lines!!!

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Either one will work just fine, but don't use them as a 'weak link'. By that, I mean don't install it in such a way that if the rubber tube or cord breaks, you lose your line. Instead, figure out how much your cord or tube will stretch, mark two spots that far apart on your line, and attach one end of the cord/tube at each mark. That way, you get the benefit of the cord/tube acting as a shock absorber, but if it breaks, you still have a solid, intact line; all you've lost is your shock absorber.

11. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i dont what rivers people fish that talk about there lines getting robbed but i always try to fish as far away from people that i can and if that means running five miles thats what i do

12. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    geat idea about the safety line

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually, it's not a separate safety line; you just don't cut your mainline. You can set out your line as you normally would, except that you leave a couple of extra feet of slack in it. Then attach the bungee cord so that it creates a good sized loop in the mainline. Since the mainline is still in one piece, if the bungee cord should break, the entire mainline is still in place; next time you run the line, you can attach a new bungee cord.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's a sketch that may help you see what I'm talking about.

Attached Files:

15. riverlover

riverlover New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thanks jerry and other guys you been very helpful. thanks for the diagram jerry i'm going to put it in to use next weekend that looks like it will work great