Bunch of bass!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by EricM, May 21, 2007.

1. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Took a fellow named Jmax out today to do some bass fishing. First thing the poor guy noticed was the dead skipjack smell wafting from the front end of the boat. Then he was assaulted by the catfish slime stink from the carpet in the middle of the boat. Then he caught a whiff of the shad tank sitting nest to him! To us bait fishermen, this is the sweet smell of success. As for those artificial-throwin' fellas like Jmax (and my wife), well, they have a somewhat different take on the subject. Once his eyes quit watering we filled up the shad tank and got to fishing. Well, he had this suitcase with him full of lures (I think it was on wheels) and we each began to fish using our own favorite methods. Mine involved a dip net and a shad tank. His involved whatever it was he had in his suitcase and seemed to require a lot of lure changing. Now, there were a considerable number of bass being hauled in (in front), meanwhile the guy in the back was getting a good case of red butt (and face). Being polite, I kinda ignored the muttering in the back until I heard that suitcase slam shut and somebody start swishing around in the shad tank. Next thing I knew I had a new live bait convert telling me we were out of shad already and we needed to get more! I have to give Jmax credit - he kept trying to go back to artificials, but his heart wasn't in it and he kept changing back to shad. For the first few bass he'd say "hey, a 2 1/2 pounder! Good fish!". By the end of the day he was saying " naw, it's only a three" as he flipped another one overboard. We quit after 5 hours and 60 or 70 bass boated. Biggest was 4-2 (front of the boat) and we had a handful pushing 4 pounds, lots of 3's. The back of the boat also managed blue and channel cats and a white bass or two. Fun (and funny) day! We laughed our butts off and had a great time!

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Eric thanks for sharing your trip. Sounds like you did real good.:lol::big_smile:

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I've never heard of anybody slaying the bass like you have the past few days. Great job Eric!

4. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    This is just one of those circumstances that happen for a few weeks each year after the spawn. I accidently found this last year during the lull in the blue catfishing and couldn't stand to miss it this year. Cats are coming back and the bass are dispersing, crappie are done and most of the bluegill too, so it's back to smelling up the boat!:tounge_out::tounge_out::tounge_out:

5. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::cool2:

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Go Eric! Gotta capitalize on the existing conditions!:big_smile:Now go get some big Cats!:cool2:

7. pinkie43

pinkie43 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Had a thing like that happen to me. My lure throwing pal was on my pontoon, I had a bucket of sour grain chum on board and a live well of shad. Every time the wind changed he got the full effect, ha. Anyway I made a convert to live bait that day, he still complains about the smell while casting a live shad under a slip bobber.
    Sam