Bumps on channel catfish I caught

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Kansas Tree Rat, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I have caught 3 nice Channel this year that were covered with bumps. Not just a few but covered. I have caught them in the past also. I would guess that it is some type of parasite. Anyone else seen this? Anyone know what it is?

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i bet its pimpls a little clearaseal might help lol no just kidding ya i have no idea but im sher some one hear can figger it out sorry for the bad joke lol:smile2::cool2:

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Alan, I caught Cats here in Milford in years past with little bumbs or pimples too. Have no what they are, looked nasty enough for me to CPR them though:smile2:

4. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
  5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ok. i have caught channels with bumps. small ones. just enough to feel if ya run the hand down the skin. but there were no color differences. they just were bumps. no black spots. is that what ya mean? but mine were like a cozen or so on each side. not covered.

i ate them.

fish with colored spots. havent seen them and not sure if i would eat them. depends on how it looked i guess.

6. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    Jeremy, I think it is still black spot. On other fish and some catfish they sometimes appear darker. Its just the larval stage of a parasite beneath the skin. Sounds pretty gross but they do not harm people. I'm pretty sure that they are only passed on to other animals and they die when the fish is cooked anyways. I just have a hard time eating a fish that has creepy crawlies under the skin but thats just me, but again they are supposed to be no concern to humans.

7. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    Oh by the way I don't want to sound like I'm an expert on this. This is just what I've gathered after researching a bit on the internet tonight.

8. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Thanks for the info Jake. The ones I have caught don't have a spot just a bump but I am pretty sure that it is the same thing or some thing similar. I have also heard that they are ok to eat if they are cooked but like you I can't bring myself to eat one. I have thought about cleaning one just to see what it looks like under ths skin but if I kill it I eat it and I ain't quit that fish hungry.
    Guess I will have to carry a bottle of clearaseal with me from now on:eek:oooh:

9. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Alan, you need to keep a camera. You see some of the weirdest stuff out on the water.:wink::smile2: I have seen pics of channels with bumps and sores but I have never caught one. I would let him go and hopefully he will get better. Maybe we can send him a card?:smile2:

10. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    caught a male goin through puberty !!:smile2::smile2:

11. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:i like that 1 lol

12. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i have cought them before out of creeks and small ponds i think it has something to do with the water being slow moving or not moving because the fish out of the river dont have them here

13. GeorgiaGuy

GeorgiaGuy New Member

State:
    Ellijay Georgia
    look up diplopstomiasis

Attached Files:

14. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I have asked this question many times in the past to my father before he died. He told me it is a type worm paricite. You can still eat the fish just make sure it is cooked. He and I cooked many over the yrs with them. But if you don't feel safe don't keep them...

15. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    What did you eat Jeremy, the bumps?:ooh::biggrin1:

GaryF likes this.
  16. Gatr

Gatr New Member

State:
    Kansas City, MO
    It's a parasite larvae that enters in adult form , it comes from all the goose poop in the water so when the water levels are low you will see it in more species of fish. I have seen it in everything bass, crappie, bluegill, catfish... When you fillet out the meat you can see the white polyps. It's safe if it's cooked, think of it as extra protein...

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    no jim i ate the bumps fish and all. i have seen the fillets with white spots in them on here before. guys asking what they were. ive pshically never seen the white spots in my fillets. i would not eat them. to many ones without them. thats about the only time i would waste fish. if it had something wrong with it.

18. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    I think its tick bites, no more water than we have in our rivers out here :rolleyes1::rolleyes1: