bump fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Steven Armstrong, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    i`ve hear over on the mississippi river area ,guys do a lot of bump fishing, the sea ark pro cat and the new xpress cat fish rig are set up for bump fishing. what is bump fishing and how do you gear up for it?

2. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Steven, I do that some but call it "walking baits" same thing though. I may "walk baits" different than some but this is how I do it. I anchor the boat above my targeted location. With a three way rig I use just enough weight to get the bait down. For example if the area that I'm fishing takes 10oz to hold the bait down while anchoring I'll use a little less when walking, maybe 7-8oz. After the bait hits bottom I slightly raise the rod tip(with the spool disengaged) and let out enough line for the bait to contact the bottom again. Let sit for a second and repeat. I do this until I've got about 500ft of line out. It takes some time to learm and you have to be able to feel the weight all the time. It is a productive way of catching blues after the water warms. I enjoy it and catch quite a few fish that way from late spring through fall. Hope that helped.

3. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    chis what method of catfishing do you use? here in eastern oklahoma we use bait clickers. where on the tenn. river are you fishing? i`m very impressed with the size of blues you`re posting

4. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    when i fish the miss i use 4 ounce of weight. i anchor above my hole. cast up stream about 100 feet up from the boat and walk my bait down past me. then let it drift the bottom about another 100 feet or so .you need to be familar with the bottom your fishing or youll be rerigging alot

5. Relocated-Yankee

Relocated-Yankee New Member

State:
    Goldsboro
    Can you do this from the bank?? I'm thinking of a spot on the river at a sharp outside bend. I could cast up current and "drift" the rig past me and down current??? :confused2:

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It does work from the bank, you just have to be sure of the location and the location of bottom structure

7. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I never cast upstream and very very rarely lose any tackle walking baits. You can walk baits through all types of structure and it will help locate and help identify the type of stuff your fishing. Some places I have fished required 16oz to walk baits and some spots 2oz. It kinda reminds me of bass fishing a texas rigged plastic worm, where you can feel every rock and every mud spot and every peice of wood. You can tell when the bait climbs a hump or falls in a hole.

8. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    Chris,
    Do you use a certain type sinker for this? And do you use a longer rod?

9. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Larry I use bank sinkers for all my catfishing. I haven't found a need to use any other type. Yet. I use a three way set up and all my rods are 7' and 7'6". I will say that the graphite rods, in my opinion are better for walking baits, and drift fishing, give a better "feel". With the fiberglass rods that I have it is hard to tell when the weight contacts the bottom when using lighter weights. The longer rods are not needed because I don't have to cast at all. I just drop the bait behind the boat and lift the rod tip slightly and let out some line. I prefer it when the bait moves about 1ft each time.

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    If I dropped a 4 oz weight in the Mississippi there woudn't be any 'walking' to it, the bait would normally be waterskiing behind the boat!:smile2:

11. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i fish mostly the jetties on the top end 4 ounces is all you need 8 to 12 in the main channel i fish memphis with all the big doggs there have for 25 years. the bottom structure changes every couple of years 4 ounces will keep you bouncing off the bottom quite nicely above the jetties and will keep the bait flowing in a natural movement without slowing it down .you will incounter more casting and retreiving but you will contact larger fish while giving up your smaller more active bite.i have used this method on the back wash of the wash out and loose alot of tackle .this is wear the cheap weights make the diffrence.i have fished parts of the river with a whole gar and 2 8 ounce weights to hold it down on a heavy action 6 foot broom stick man thats fun.now i fish the hatchie with bass polls only in the catfish world . lol happy cattin

12. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    Thanks for the info. I will give this a try.