Bullheads

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by zcat, Jan 28, 2008.

1. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    I wanted to know if anyone uses bullheads in ohio waters. And if thats their best bait ,over all other bait for flatheads.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hey buddy, i use bullheads, i like them for around the spawn the best. i do use them throughout the year, but right around spawn i think is the best. them flats seem to get pretty aggressive with them bullies then! i really like smallies and green sunfish as well....rollo

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have heard from some others that they are really good bait for flatheads. I haven't used them yet , but I will this spring.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    bullheads are awesome bait, channels and turtles wont mess with them and they will kick all night long. however i have seen lots of spots on the river i fish where bullheads just wont produce anything, but in others they are the go-to bait.

5. JOEcatter

JOEcatter New Member

State:
    davenport iowa
    i use bullheads up to about 4 inches here in iowa on the mississippi and they seem to work pretty good so i would think they should be a good bait just about anywhere

6. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I have not used them yet but from all the thing i have heard people saying they are great bait for big flats. Im gonna try some this year.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have used them maybe a dozen times, never got a hit on them.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use them any time I can! You really need to suspend them or fish them on sandy or gravel bottoms.They will bury in debris and hide. I always use them live because I guess I have never had one die in the bait bucket.:big_smile:

9. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    One of my favorite baits.

10. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    i love them for bait because they just don't die on ya. But I also like to that a pair of sidecuts with me and cut those spiny mouth barbs off of them ,mostly for my own comfort in gettin them out of the bucket.

11. Myk88

Myk88 New Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    Where do you guys get your bullheads? I'd like to try em out, but I've never caught any to use.

12. dogcat

dogcat New Member

State:
    Dayton Area Ohio
    Sure wish I could find some spots to catch them regularly these days. I used to catch them in a couple holes in a creek when I was young and a farm pond nearby was just full of them, some were really niced sized of a pound or more. mom used to just about gag cooking them for me and I understand now why :) Creek is dry and the pond was filled in the past 25 years. I used to get quite a few out of hole at north end of Ceasar Creek a few years after it filled but haven't tried there in years and years I suppose I could spend some time on the Little Miami but that would take away from what little time I have to hunt for flatties and channels...Hmmm must think! I primarily use bluegill myself because of abundance and ease in gathering from known ponds.

13. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I've had good luck with them on the Ohio river. I also use gills, shad, goldfish, and worms.

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mike, any of the strip mine ponds around SE ohio has bullheads in them. Some more than others. Also any creeks that feed into the Muskingum, or shallow areas in rivers with reduced or very little current. One plus when searching for them in rivers is if you are catching baby carp and squealer channels, there are bullheads there also.

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    How about those pesky little 4-6 inch channels. I have NEVER had much luck with them, just wondered why they were different from Bullheads.... as bait, not species.

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    they are not! In my early years, i used to transport my big flats home, and keep them in the holding tank till day break for the pic.s I don't do this anymore due to my added experience and cpr thoughts! But, I have came out many of mornings to see these 20-30 pound flatheads, and see 10-15 inch channel cats they puked up over night!!!! what does this tell you all?:wink::eek:oooh: rollo

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Did you look to see if those channels had their spines clipped? Or did the flatheads toss away the pliers and eat them the way god made em?

18. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    THEY ARE GOOD AT CERTIAN TIMES OF THE YEAR

19. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    The ones I catch I give to a friend for his trap line. I guess that make good bait for raccoons and the like.

20. E.T.

E.T. New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bullheads are great bait! Had alot of luck on them. But I've had better luck on green sunfish & goldfish.