Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never used them for bait but have heard they work good. I have been setting my traps and have about 30. They are kinda small 4-5" long but I thought I might try them. Does anybody have any tips on how to hook them.

· Registered
744 Posts
When I've heard of people using them they hook them behind the dorsal fin or back in the tail. Kind of in the fillet area. I've never been fortunate enough to be able to use them, so I don't know from experience. I have also heard that it works real well to hook them under a big float cause they will want to swim to the bottom and struggle and make alot of commotion trying to do so. I've always wanted to try some live bullhead. Around here they don't seem to be as common unless you have access to a farm pond or something so I don't hear many people using them. But I know they are good bait, good luck.

· Premium Member
3,583 Posts
I use them, I hook them shallow just behind the dorsal fin and float them with a big float about a foot over the bottom or over structure. In the winter if I find Flatheads in a deep hole wintering i use a large jig head and hook the bullhead through the bottom lip and drop it straight down on the flats and jig it slowly up and down.

· Registered
1,262 Posts
They are an amazing bait for the waiting game since they live so long on the hook.
Bankliners will set them shallow hung from branches of streamside or lakeside trees
at about a foot deep. The wind will jig them up and down by moving the branch.
The weight is fairly heavy and a big bead is on the line to protect the knot from
the sliding sinker bouncing into it. Check your lines every 3 or 4 hrs, don't get lazy.

If you know where spawning flatheads are nesting, use a 3oz no-roll sinker above
the hooked bullhead and pitch him near the nest. This means within two feet.
Hang on. Doesn't take long for the flathead to get irritated by this little egg snitcher.

The bobber approach is good, just be sure of your depth. Don't let him get into bottom
clutter or he will hide. Gentle current is your friend here, keeps the bait moving.

· Registered
624 Posts
The bullhead is a GOOD flattie bait. Both set lines and rod/reel. I prefer them in the river, but make no mistake I have caught some nice flathead in the resevoirs on them too. I usually hook them right underneath the adipose fin or just the meat by the tail. I will say, sometimes these little fish are strong and struggle off of a hook. So go deep in the meat without hitting the spine of course. But a great flathead bait.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.