Bullheads?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by gunslick, Jun 26, 2009.

1. gunslick

gunslick New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hello fellow members, i am fairly new to catfishing and im still figuring out what baits are best. I recently discovered that there is a pond by my house with tons of small bullheads. I am planning on using them as bait on the scioto river. I was wondering if I would have better luck with them dead or live for the big flats. any imput or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks.

2. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'd definitely keep them alive...they love it when those bullheads are swimmin around like crazy, keeps you watchin your pole too because they'll fight it. IF they do die though, I usually just cut them straight up the belly and let the guts hang out and then hook them. I wouldn't let a bullhead go to waste! I just started using bullheads not too long ago; I haven't had a whole bunch of luck yet on them :confused2: but I'm sure with time they'll prove to be a great bait. Good luck!

3. gunslick

gunslick New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I appreciate the input, I will definitely give that a try

4. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    No problem...I'm sure other people on here have a lot more knowledge on Bullheads than I do. I sure do wish I had someplace stocked full of them, it's few and far between when I get a couple of them. Anyways, best of luck to you!

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    One of the best baits IMO for flatheads. I use them year round here in Okla. Big blue will take them too. Have a good rodholder or hang onto your rod. My brother-in-law lost one of my cat rigs last year. He laid it down to get something out of the cooler at has feet and it went out before he could move.

6. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    yea i would fish them alive with enough weight they cant get you snagged pullin out line. they cwork great i just caught a 34# shovelhead last saturday on one and a 10# shovel. hook em thru the very tip of the tail then turn the hook and hook it again a lil farther up on the tail and it will stay on and alive all night. hope this helps

7. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks! Learn somethin new every day...:big_smile:

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    fish em alive,they are a good flathead bait

9. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Clip about a half an inch off there 3 barbed fins.I've noticed flatheads will keep ahold of them longer.

10. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    You dont have to clip their fins,flatheads eat them naturally and they dont clip them first.I've had them bite a bullhead and miss and when I checked the bait there wasnt a bone left that wasn't smashed.

11. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used to think that too and I tried it and it works for me

12. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've used them with and without their fins clipped and never noticed a difference. I would definately go with what worked for me, good fishing.