bullheads?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by rcbbracing, May 4, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    OKAY i am really having some issues finding bullheads....anyone want to part with some? I mean ill trade big gills chubs suckers (if i currently have any) or pay some cash for em....let me know! IM GETTING DESPERATE! and i dont have very much time to go out looking for bait with the wife and kid...All of em i get are 12+ inches lol....thanks!

2. Natty Cat

Natty Cat New Member

State:
    ohio
    That seems to be a good bait size to me. IMO they are not too big or too small.:cool2:

3. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the only issue i see is the water temps are still kinda cold...I have been kinda scheptical about using such big baits...i was thinking 4-8inches if i can find em....well let me know if im wrong! lol

4. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    manseems to me you have bait i'd love to have them that big really i don't think you can get bait too big good fishing to ya:sad2:

5. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well thanks guys! i figured it was still kinda early to use such a big bait...wish i still had kept em lol BUT thank you cuz ill start keeping them now!

6. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Buckeye Lake twix Zanesville and Columbus has got to be the bullhead capital of the world.I have caught gazillions of em over the last 50 years.My Dad and I caught over 700 in 6 days several years ago.They run from a few small ones in the 8-9 inch range to average to 12-13 inches.I don't fish for them like I used too since dad passed and have gone on to do more big catfish stuff but I like to eat em and use em for flattie bait.We'd catch em right in the middle of the day about a foot deep under a bobber baited with cut shad or worms right in the lilly pads-you would lose about half of what we hooked because they would get hung up in the pads but man,would they bend those ol cane poles.This heavy feeding would last about a month or so-we're right in the middle of that trime period right now.The channel cats then seem to be in greater numbers than the bullheads towards the middle of May and from then we went in to Bluegill fishing when they hit the beds in June.You can still catch bullheads year round but night is better later on and they are not stacked in close like they are now in the daytime.Good fishing and be safe.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Are these about the size you want? :eek:oooh: rollo

Attached Files:

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Ben has it down pat. this time of year about a foot or so down under float.
    As for size, any size is good for flatheads. I like 8 to 12 inch ones myself for flatheads. Little smaller if fishing for channels.

9. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Do you fish with them live out cut them up? Never have fished with them alway threw them back lol

10. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    YEP rollo thanks for rubbin it in!lol hoping to go find some with mike this weekend....I built some of those traps that whistler had posted....those things are amazing! I just cant seem to find a body of water populated enough lol....And cherokee to answer your question defidently alive...great longevity and stay lively fighting the whole time! cant been em in my opinion!

11. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    dave dont ask to pay for bullheads its illegal to sell any wild game meat or fish in the state of ohio dont get into trouble i like fishin with ya and dont want to see ya get into any sh#t if ya know what i mean

12. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I didnt know it was illegal to sell forage fish....i really really need to get brushed up on my ohio laws and regulations! thank you for informing me! i was aware its illegal to sell game fish just not forage fish...thanks for clearing that up!

13. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    not a problem like i said i like fishin with ya just dont want you to learn the hard way

14. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    okay this is the second time today this has happened...anyone know where i can find a detailed list of odnr lists of laws and regulations so i dont have to do it a 3rd time?

15. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    check out www.ohiodnr.com i think it is or call ur local game warden they will know for sure

16. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    Rollo i want some just that size lol wanna mail me some lmao mabey when we hook up to go fishin i could get some xtras and bring home for the bait tank lol

17. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    lol only in a perfect world! wish i could trade ppl baitfish through the usps lol!

18. Djtrikee

Djtrikee New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you want bullheads, I can get you a 100 bullheads in like 3 hours from the private pond that i fish out off, there small bait type. I get annoyed by catching them all the time instead of big cats...lol

19. Djtrikee

Djtrikee New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if you show me where to catch big flats, ill take you to the private pond and let u have a feast on these small bulls.

20. varmint_sniper

State:
    OHIO
    Djtrikee where ya at in ohio i also know some good flathead waters if ur close and interested? i have fished with dave also and hes a good guy to fish with....... Dave just so ya know i aint trying to step on ur toes at all dont take it wrong was just wondering is all