Bullheads

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Bigfish18, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I was wondering if anyone in my area or any where else for that matter had a hard time finding bullheads last year? I like to use bullheads for bait, the bigger the better. The last couple of years the ponds I fish have just slowed down. I dont think I could possibly be over fishing em. Maybe the ponds are just changing.

2. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Have not seen that problem where I'm at In Nebraska The bullheads are doin good Seem to be all good bait size to !!!:smile2:

3. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka

I did not have very good luck this year. Heck I did not even get one.

4. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    seemed like when I was a kid bullheads were everywhere...I will try to see if I can get some come springtime my wife owns some ground around Westphalia and thats all thats in the ponds. I did slaughter some sky carp off one of them one time.

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I noticed that as well last year. I just assumed it was because all of the dad gum rain we had. Not sure why it would make a difference, but I remember the times I have caught the most of them is when it was hot and dry as heck.

I think with the nearly constant rains we had last summer, they had plenty to eat, and were a little more finiky than usual, if that is even possible for a bullhead!

They are my favorite bait too, mainly because they are easy to keep alive, and tough as all get out. I used to be able to catch 50 or 75 at a time in a few ponds, and could keep them alive for weeks with minimal attention, where black perch would all die in a matter of days, even with constant baby sitting.

6. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I agree with Jeff that the rain probably had alot to do with it.
    I caught a few outta the Cowskin up by Maize while fishin for perch. I might have caught more if I would have been targeting them on the bottom, I dont know.
    I do know a guy in Clearwater that has a bunch of ponds that need thinned out. I found out about them too late this year to do any good but next year I will be over there with a big ol tank in the back of the truck.

7. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City

Eric how far is Westphalia from KC?

8. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    They were real hard to come by in the Topeka area too.

On a side note you guys should see how the bullheads react to flatheads. In school we had a huge tank and it had a lot of the local Kansas fish in it. Most of the time if the flathead was not eating them. The flathead was I would guess around 2 pounds it also had a few channels in it about the same size and smaller. Every time a new bullhead would go in to the tank with in no time it would swim right over to the fleathead. This was not the case for the channels. The bullhead would not ever bother them not even the litlte channels. This why when I use bullheads most of the time I will not engage the reel and just watch it for movement on the line. A slip bobber will work the same way to spot flatheads holding in a jam or rocks when using bullheads.

9. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    That is very interesting. I wonder what is going on there? I wonder if it has anything to do with baby bullheads and baby flatheads having such a close resemblence??

I know I am giving the bullhead way to much credit on the ol' intelligence scale.......but it is interesting as to why.

I little side story on putting flatheads in a tank. When I was about 10 my mother had a HUGE aquarium in our living room, it was like 200 gallons or so, and built into the wall. She had all kinds of expensive fish in there, of all different sizes. My best friend and I caught a small flathead, about 6 inches long or so, while seining for crawdads in the river, threw it in the minnow bucket, and took it home to put it in the aquarium.

In the bottom of the aquarium was a big chunk of petrified driftwood my Mom had collected from the beach while on vacation, the young flathead went straight to it, burrowing under it in the gravel, and we could not even find him. Over the next few weeks, fish began "dissapearing" from the tank, not a trace of them anywhere, my Mom was so confused. (did I mention the fact that we did NOT tell her about putting the flathead in the tank?)

Well one night we were all int he living room late watching a movie on TV, with all the lights out, and the aquarium light off as well. Pretty soon I noticed it, and my Mom did too. You could see two small red "dots" flying around the tank, wreaking havoc with the other fish. Mom quickley turned on the light and the red "dots" flying around in the tank was the flathead's eyes reflecting the light from the TV while he was chasing dinner. Needless to say, I got a pretty good butt chewing over the deal, not to mention had to pay for a bunch of new fish out of my allowance once we turned the flathead loose. Funny thing is, I bet he grew about an inch in the 4 or 5 weeks he was in the tank! :smile2:

10. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Jeff thats a great story.I bet you paid for that one for many years..:smile2:

11. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Dan that is very interesting.....Reps to you

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    we have alot of them here , they seem to love chicken liver .

13. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    I have 2 ponds that were dead but this last year I saw some small fingerling bullheads along the edge. I have heard that their eggs stick to the cranes feet. So cranes must have brought them. I might have to try feeding them this year to get them to grow a little faster.

14. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Kevin Westphalia is about 1hr 20 min sw of my house in O.P. The farmer we lease the ground to has several good sized ponds and will let us catch them out of there.We'll turn my kid loose on 'em. When I was at KU someone turned a 15lb flathead from the Kaw loose in the chancellor's pond and it ate all the KOI and even some songbirds that thought it was their personal birdbath.I have no idea who it might have been....oh well I guess the statute of limitations has run out.It might have been the same guy that broke into the sorority house with that box of bats.

15. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Did not make it to my favorite Bullhead hole this past year so I can't say much about the population but I will say they are my number one bait for Flatheads.

16. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Bullheads were the beginning for me 44 years ago on a creek bank in Brown
    County KS. I haven't fished for them much in my adult life and I'm not sure
    where to find them in the Manhattan area. Probably some small creek I don't
    have permission to fish! For me, one species leads to another: Bullheads
    introduced me to channel cats, bluegills introduced me to crappie and
    largemouth bass. Carp were another matter. They introduced me to
    bowhunting! But I haven't shot one since I was 17, an uncomfortably
    long time ago.

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I only know of one place to get bullheads reliably, and they were still there this year.

I told Keith about a place where I go to catch sunfish, and he called me from the bank there asking how to keep the bullheads off? In all my years of fishing there I've only caught one or two bullheads. It's amazing what can come from fishing a spot just a little bit differently from someone else.

18. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Last year Cowboy Rick showed me I pond (already knew it was there, just never fished it) to catch some perch, the day we went there, caught more Bullheads than Perch:smile2:. We got stocked up pretty good, before the real cold weather set in, we put them back, shortly after, our livewell froze:smile2: So we know where to get some next year any way:wink:

19. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i love bullheads 4 eating and as a bait also fun with the kids

20. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I had better luck in the creeks then the ponds last year. I dont know why for sure?