bullheads vs bluegill

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Aug 23, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well im going to give them bullheads a try, are they as good as a bluegill

2. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I'll take bullheads over gills any time.

3. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'm going to say Bluegills, but I've never eaten a bullhead. Yep, Them bluegills are some fine eaten!

4. nanookofthenish

nanookofthenish New Member

State:
    sw iowa
    Jake, I am curious how you do with the bullheads. Over the years I have occasionally tried a bullhead bait (usually on a limbline) because they are supposed to be so great for the flatties. I have never caught a fish on a bullhead, not even a gar mauling, so I have pretty much give up on them. The bluegills and the carpsuckers are kings in my book, but I'm still optomistic nonetheless. I personally think they do much better up north, like in Minnesota, or maybe in a rocky type river basin instead of mud or sand, but that's just speculation. Let us know your results over the next few outings. Thanks!

5. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I would like to try Bullheads for flats, but I am not sure where to get them, are they found in creeks, rivers, lakes? Do most people trap them or catch them on R&R? Where do these Bullheads hangout?:sad2: I do like using gills!

6. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Gotta go with gills. Dont have a whole lot of places to catch bullheads around here. But the gills are plentiful.

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Bullhead over bluegills for me, but I usually prefer greenies.:wink:

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,ve had sucess with bullheads,but IMHO only,they,re much ado about nothing.Hard to find a good supply of them,There,s a lot of more plentiful,easier to catch bait,and if you don,t pick em up and move em every 10 minutes,they,re gonna find something to hang you up in.They might be really good on a slipfloat though.:wink:

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If you are looking for "The One" use bullheads.

They are tough little critters and can defend themselves against smaller flatheads, hungry channel cats, turtle, gars, and anything else that frustrated flathead fisherman.

10. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I'll use a bullhead over a gill or sunny any day. I like them about 8-9 inches with the spines clipped off. For many people it probably isn't worth the extra effort to go hunting for bullhead but i have easy access to them in my creek. If you really wanna try them find a big creek or a smaller river or pond and throw some small cuts of bluegill on a small hook with a split shot. Just look for slack water and drop your line in around dusk. I can pull them out one after another but it if they weren't so easy to come by i wouldn't bother.

11. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Some other brothers say bullheads work better than anything, I would personally go with bluegill down south here.:wink:

12. jweber81

jweber81 New Member

State:
    nevada,missouri
    here in missouri they are plentiful in most farm ponds.

13. jweber81

jweber81 New Member

State:
    nevada,missouri
    i would rather use gills,from my experiences setting lines they are the only thing left when i go to pull them up:confused2:

14. IA Flatcatter

IA Flatcatter New Member

State:
    SE IA. on the skunk river
    For flatts I like my bait to be alive, bullheads stay alive a lot longer than gills. So I like bheads... :confused2:

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Some of us need to be cognitive of the state regulations as some state do not allow bullies to be used. On the other hand I was told they are an excellent flathead bait, as well as even baby channels. Cutting the fins and spines is what it would take. Plus normally if you get a good run with it, its the right kind that you are looking for more so than the smaller grade of flats.

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I hear a lot of people say this about bullheads, small cats, even bluegills and such. I don't really think that it matters b/c there isn't somebody out there cutting the spines off of them in the wild when they eat them:confused2:

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i just need to use em in a hoter lake were gills wont live so i gues ill be using em saterday havent been out much the last three weeks about once a week, but thats soon to change

18. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    i agree with wes........i use bull heads!.........no need to clip the spines..........just hookem.................:smile2:............but i will say some nites they perfer gills and some nights..........bulls!...............................i personally dont think it matters if the flat head is hungry..........:wink:

19. Holdmhook

Holdmhook New Member

State:
    Georgia
    will get you some driftmaster rod holders mounted on that ski boat and catch some late nite smiley fish. live blue gill good live baby catfish best yet, 2-baby catfish live big bait on other poles, gills might die but you just dust your 2-bull-heads or baby catfish off and their ready to go all nite holdmhook

20. Holdmhook

Holdmhook New Member

State:
    Georgia
    steve
    dana was there my brother especially when you needed him to be there know what your going thru- be cool holdmhook