Bullheads For Flathead catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by sem21, Mar 19, 2006.

1. sem21

sem21 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I Have Heard Bullheads Are Great For Flats But You Have To Cut Off There Side Fins. I Have Never Tried It, Does It Realy Work? My Brother-in- Law Says It Works.

2. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Bullheads make great flathead bait they're easy to find and they live a long time. I would cut the side fins off that will make them easier to swallow.

3. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    Correct about the side fins. I use them here in north Louisiana alot. I find that the gar will not bother the mudcats like they do when I use 'Gills for bait.

4. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    Isn't there something about clipping a portion of their tails also??

5. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Bullheads are my primary flathead bait. I have never trimmed any fins off - a flathead will just hammer a bullhead usually taking them head first and there is no need to trim the fins. Bullheads are a great flathead bait because they stay alive and very frisky for hours. I keep a 100 gallon bait tank and maintain a stock of about 50 to 75 bullheads. They are easy to catch and easy to keep alive. The flathead in my avatar was 55 lbs and he hammered a bullhead late on an August night.

6. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I wouldn't mind trying some bullheads for flats, but I haven't caught one here in IL. for many years. I seem to recall catching a lot of them as a kid.

It seems to me that you wouldn't need to trim the fins if it's something that the flatties would normally eat anyway. ;)

Eric

7. sem21

sem21 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I Have Seen My Brother-in-law Use A Perch Trap And Put A Onion In It And Pulls Out About 8-9 Bullheads Every 2 To 3 Days.

8. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I just made me one of those perch traps and have a place that I have caught loads of bullheads..my question is .. where do you hook these fish when you are fishing with bullheads?

9. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    go down to a local pond with a worm or hotdogs. you can fill a bank tank between the bullheads and sunnies

10. sem21

sem21 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I Have Seen Alot Of People Hook Them In The Tail Behind The Dorsal Fin And Also In The Lip.

11. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    My normal flathead set-up is a reel spooled with 65# test HiVis PowerPro line. 99% of the time I use a drift rig anchored with a 2 oz to 4 oz No-Roll sinker depending on the current where I am fishing. I tie on a heavy swivel with a palomar knot to the main line and another palomar knot to a short 6" leader of 65# test PowerPro to which I snell a 10/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hook.

Most of my bullheads are between 5" and 7". In Minnesota a bullhead is considered a minnow as long as it is 7" or less - as such it is legal to harvest and transport them as bait. If they are over 7" they are considered rough fish and it is illegal to transport them alive. You do not want to get caught transporting live rough fish so I take the time to measure all my bait and stay legal.

I hook the bullhead behind the dorsal fin making sure that there is plenty of gap showing on the hook. I know some fisherman that hook bullheads through the lips going from the top and out through the bottom. I've used that technique, especially if there is some good current. I have caught flatheads both ways. I prefer to hook behind the dorsal fin, when you set the hook, you need to pull it out of the bullhead and into the mouth of the flathead so an aggressive hook set is in order.

That bullhead is going to be tugging and pulling on that line for hours. A 7" bullhead is often hardy enough to pull your clicker and until you get use to it you will think you have a flat eating your bullie. Believe me - when a flathead takes that bullie they do not fool around - sometimes they will drop it but usually if the bait is lively they just hammer it. My experience is that they take the bait head first - usually when you are taking the hook out of the fllathead you can see the bullhead tail sticking out of their throat. Bullheads are a great bait and they beat spending over a $1 a piece for a big sucker that dies before you can get a hook in them. I enjoy going out in the afternoon and catching a bucket of bullheads - it adds to the whole flathead fishing experience.

12. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    bullheads are great flathead bait. i have never used them on rod and reel but have had good success on set lines with them. they stay alive for days. the gar don't seem to bother them near as much as perch.

13. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Where's the best place to catch bullhead? I used to catch them back home but I don't know around here.

14. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    1) I'm not sure I can use them here in IL. i'll have to check the regs.

2) I assume you guys primarily fish them from boats or will they hold up to casting from the bank?

Thanks!

Eric

15. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Eric, bullheads are a legal bait in Illinois, and they stand up very well to casting from the bank.
    Rat

16. Sinker

Sinker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    FryGuy, you are sitting right in the middle of'em. Most all these old strip pits are full of them.

17. SSanta090

SSanta090 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    They can be better than sunfish or shad in some situations because they stay alive much longer

18. bestcatterindaNATI25

bestcatterindaNATI25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    THey work great from what i heard. MY buddy caught a 40lber on one