Bullheads For Catfish Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Jackie Johnson(Abilene) on August 13, 2004

Bullheads for bait

They are good bait and they stay alive and struggle for a long time. It does take a pretty good weight to hold them down. Trimming the tail will help. I prefer to clip them myself, doesn't seem to slow them down. The catfish will eat them either way but there is a chance, fin removal will expedite the time between the bait being taken and the swallowing procedure.
    Some also prefer to clip the spinal fins off their bluegills. Surely a large bait fish would have to be swallowed head first. Does a cat attempt to turn a bait in it's mouth or does it do a crunching kill bite, spit it out and then pick it up head first?
    If they hit it head on, do they go ahead and crunch and swallow?
    Don't the fins of a cat, lock once they are in position? I suppose they must unlock, once death occurs.
    It would seem pretty hard for even a large cat to crunch a smaller one to death, but I suppose they can. Not sure how many crunches it might take. Depends on the relative size of the two fish. I know they have hard heads and are not easily crunched.
    There is a spot at the back of the skull, where I am told you can make a an incision and stick a broomstraw down until the catfish is paralized, allowing easier cleaning. Once the straw is removed, the fish will "come back alive."

Anyone else remember a post where someone caught a large cat with a belly so full of smaller ones, that their fins were poking out?

Now about catfish feeling pain, I have never heard one scream in pain, and they can make a noise. I know that when people feel pain, they are very vocal about it. Fish, of course don't talk, so we may never really be sure.
    Another reason I prefer to clip mine, is to prevent being poked by one of the little beggars.
    I would also recommend clipping the fins off your keepers.
    Remember that guy who fell on his back on his stringer of fish?