Bullheads for bait ????

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Missouricathunter25, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Missouricathunter25

Missouricathunter25 New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    How do you use bullheads for bait? i've always kept the little ones on my line but had no luck catching flatheads? My grandpa said thats all my great grandpa would use for bait and he would catch big flatheads. Any help would be thankful. Do i cut the tail or something? thanks:embarassed:

2. toby24

toby24 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    He would catch about 6inch long bullheads and hook them under the dorsal fin and use them that way not doing anything else to them. He seemed to have lots of luck. I think i will try using some tomorrow night.

3. Missouricathunter25

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    Thanks. don't lnow how to catch 6 inch long bullheads. any tips? thanks

4. whisker_chaser

whisker_chaser New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ask some farmers where a bullhead pond is? Most farmers that have several ponds will have an old one or two that are loaded with them. Just use a little hook, like a 6, with a little chunk of worm on it with a bobber and you can catch a pile of em. If you are close to north MO I could show you a few ponds that have are loaded with them. good luck,
    Ben

5. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thats some good advise Mocathunter25. Hook them right under the Dorsal fin. The fining little suckers are hard on fingers, but they stay on the hook,stay alive forever and the Big Flats like em!

6. Missouricathunter25

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    ok thanks for the advice. i will try that. i know a few ponds that are full of bullheads. thanks though.