BULLHEADS FOR BAIT?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by jlwhite405, Feb 18, 2008.

1. jlwhite405

jlwhite405 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Does anyone here use bullheads for bait? I read somewhre that they work well. any input would be appreciated.

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    .......................Yes!.................:wink:

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Jesse,
    There are quite a few folk on here who use bull heads for bait. Most of the members use them especially for flatheads. When I was a kid, I used to eat those things!:smile2: Im sure that you'll soon get a lot of hits on this thread from members offering some good advice.

4. jlwhite405

jlwhite405 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    are they the same thing as mud cats?

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Bullheads are excellent bait. Try trimming those pectoral fins and they will give you a better hookup not to mention they are much easier to handle.

6. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I like bullheads for bait. The only place I can find them any more is small city lakes,private ponds or creeks. I think the flatties eat them out of the bigger lakes.
    I never trimmed the fins before but sounds like a great idea to me.Always learn something new on the BOC. Allen

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    try rod and reel in small ponds and creeks thats where i find them and a throw net around dams
    and yes they are great baite and live forever and the gar dont mess with them that much

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Yep, use them.Like they said try city lakes and small ponds as they are usally a stocked fish.Worms or liver on a small hook in the right spot you should have no problems.Fun to use a bobber.

9. elklover1964

elklover1964 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Bullheads are my favorite bait for flatheads.....I have even caught a flathead on a bare hook during the day because it smelled of bullhead! :wink:

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    we use bullheads a lot, and we catch them out of the community fishing lakes. most city ponds are overrun with them anyway, and most places they are not a gamefish. i always snip the spines off, but have never seen a difference in the catch.

11. jlwhite405

jlwhite405 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    whats the best size to use?

12. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I wonder if you can freeze bullheads and use them later? I have access to a small pond that is loaded with them.

13. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    It may sound cruel but I cut their top and side fins off with needle nose pliers before they go on hook. And I also ate the lil muddy tastin fish as a kid.

14. okiemike

okiemike New Member

State:
    Haskell, Oklahoma
    I for one am happy this post came up. My stock pond is FULL of them little suckers. I can't figure how they got in there cause I used to only have bluegill. I put a few blues and a couple of channels in to keep the bluegills controlled and now I have bullheads. Well, on the hook they go!
    Mike.

15. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    When I was a kid, my grand-dad and I used to go out to family/friends' farm ponds around here and catch bullheads to go catfishin with and we had some reel good luck with em.

As the years have gone by and, unfortunately, people dying off (including my grand-dad) and farms/lands being sold, etc, etc,... there's nowhere around here that I can find that holds any bullheads... I've asked and asked but nobody seems to be able to put me on to bullheads or that wants to let me 'in', so to speak.

Wish I could find some around here!

Dave

16. garzaglass

garzaglass New Member

State:
    OK
    i like this post. thanks

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    yes bull heads are good bait and yes in arkansas we call them mud cats.up in the hills in our clear clean branches or creeks i still eat the ones over 10 inches long.just to country to throw them back

18. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Do you use them alive or do you use them as cut bait? Will they work either way?

19. jlwhite405

jlwhite405 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    will blues and channels bite them?

20. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Most people will generally use them for flathead which in most cases you will use them alive. but I guess if they are fresh and bloody you could use um for cut bait.