The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here use bullheads for bait? I read somewhre that they work well. any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Jesse,
There are quite a few folk on here who use bull heads for bait. Most of the members use them especially for flatheads. When I was a kid, I used to eat those things!:smile2: Im sure that you'll soon get a lot of hits on this thread from members offering some good advice.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I like bullheads for bait. The only place I can find them any more is small city lakes,private ponds or creeks. I think the flatties eat them out of the bigger lakes.
I never trimmed the fins before but sounds like a great idea to me.Always learn something new on the BOC. Allen

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
try rod and reel in small ponds and creeks thats where i find them and a throw net around dams
and yes they are great baite and live forever and the gar dont mess with them that much

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Yep, use them.Like they said try city lakes and small ponds as they are usally a stocked fish.Worms or liver on a small hook in the right spot you should have no problems.Fun to use a bobber.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bullheads are my favorite bait for flatheads.....I have even caught a flathead on a bare hook during the day because it smelled of bullhead! :wink:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
we use bullheads a lot, and we catch them out of the community fishing lakes. most city ponds are overrun with them anyway, and most places they are not a gamefish. i always snip the spines off, but have never seen a difference in the catch.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It may sound cruel but I cut their top and side fins off with needle nose pliers before they go on hook. And I also ate the lil muddy tastin fish as a kid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I for one am happy this post came up. My stock pond is FULL of them little suckers. I can't figure how they got in there cause I used to only have bluegill. I put a few blues and a couple of channels in to keep the bluegills controlled and now I have bullheads. Well, on the hook they go!
Mike.

·
Registered
294 Posts
When I was a kid, my grand-dad and I used to go out to family/friends' farm ponds around here and catch bullheads to go catfishin with and we had some reel good luck with em.

As the years have gone by and, unfortunately, people dying off (including my grand-dad) and farms/lands being sold, etc, etc,... there's nowhere around here that I can find that holds any bullheads... I've asked and asked but nobody seems to be able to put me on to bullheads or that wants to let me 'in', so to speak.

Wish I could find some around here!

Dave

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
yes bull heads are good bait and yes in arkansas we call them mud cats.up in the hills in our clear clean branches or creeks i still eat the ones over 10 inches long.just to country to throw them back

1 - 20 of 21 Posts