bullheads for bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by fishnohio, Jan 2, 2008.

1. fishnohio

fishnohio New Member

State:
    Middletown,Ohio
    where is the best place to catch some small bullheads or buy them for catfishing in the dayton ohio area? . . . . . . . . . . . . Mike

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    wish I could help ya, I am sure someone will chime in soon

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I wish I could help ya, as an avid catman in the Dayton area, I only have two places ( both private) that offer the occaisional bullhead, I only know of 1 semi public place and its someone elses spot so I can not repeat that as the numbers there are very low as well.

You should be looking for old muddy shallow ponds, those are the best

If you find a good spot, I wouldnt share it with too many folks, growing up had a local pond that was chock full of 6" guys, could catch 50 a day for many years until I went back 10 years later to get some for bait, not a 1 to be found and after running into some locals, they told me about catfish guys taking them buckets at a time over the years and now there are none so you can clean them out. Selective harvest if you know what I mean, take what you ll use and release the rest.

Salmonid

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man I dont even think I have ever seen a bullhead before, must be killer bait.:eek:oooh:

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i know of many bullhead ponds around here. the ones that i fish are farm ponds that are in the flood plane, the river floods into them a couple times a year. thats how they got in there, they also have small carp and shad in them as well.. i know that doesn't help you much, but maybe you could relate that to your area and look for some places that may get flooded...a couple others i fish, have a nice feeder creek that runs into them, this creek holds chubs, bullheads, greensunfish, etc. so obviously the pond holds them as well. you might have to do some scouting and asking around, but i bet there is one not to far from where you are living...once you find a good place or two to get them and other good bait, guard them like your fishing holes...remember, if you can't get bait..you can't go fishing...goodluck to you..rollo