Bullheads for bait?

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by Kelo80, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Kelo80

Kelo80 New Member

State:
    SW MN
    Got two questions for you guys concerning bullheads, How big of bullheads do you use for flathead bait? Ive heard from 5 to 7 inches? Im not going after just huge flatties, id like to catch them in the 10 pound range also, so is a 5 to 7 inch bullhead to big for a 10 lb flattie to take? Also have any of you used bullhead for cut bait for channels, if so how does it work? Any comments appreciated thank you!

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A 5" to 7" Bullhead will get you some two pounders and up! lol If you use the biggest Bullheads you get they still won't be to big. I have never used them cut they are to valuable to me alive.:wink:

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Jack's right, no worries about size. My old man uses big bullheadson bank lines. I caught a 1# flat on a 7" live shad night before last. I've heard it somewhere around the board that a flathead can eat a fish a third it's size, so you'd be surprised how small a fish you can catch with big bait...:smile2:

4. Ham

Ham New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a question about bullheads. Are they easy to keep alive? I have a pond nearby thats full of them, and I was wondering if I could go out and catch some and then keep them in an aerated tank for a day of so until I put them to use. I heard that they are one of the easier bait fish to keep alive, so if i just put them in an aerated bucket will that work? I wanted to get some advice before I go catch a bunch.

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    bullheads or mudcats as they are called in arkansas are one of the hardest baits to kill but like all fish they are subject to die if you let the ammonia get to high.so if holding them for any lenght of time change the water and you should be fine.

6. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Me & my grandad used to go out to farm ponds around here and catch bullheads for bait then go catfishin on the lake and had pretty good luck with em. And those bullheads are pretty tough. I've been askin around but nobody seems to know of anyplace close by to catch bullheads (or they ain't tellin). I'd sure like to find some.

Dave

7. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Kevin... if ya don't mind tellin, whereabouts in Oklahoma are ya?