bullheads for bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I have always heard that bullheads make great flathead bait. I went out and caught a dozen and tried them. I snipped the fins off, and cut their tail off so they wouldn't swim all through my lines, and to make them bleed. They bleed like a stuck hog for quite some time. They squirm like an eel, and appear that they would be dynamite bait, but I have yet to have a bite on one. Not even a nibble. Do many of you folks use bullheads for bait, and if so, do you do well with them? I hope I can figure out how to present them so I can catch cats on 'em, as they are so easy to catch and readily available here.

Bill in SC

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    bullheads make excellent flathead bait bill.....we use them alot up in ohio, i found a pond down here that has them but the smallest ones in there are like a pound. I like them about 6-8 inches......my buddy back in ohio showed me a trick on clipping the fins....which isn't really neccesary but I like it.....just clip like 1/8" off the fins and they will still have their horns but they will be blunt. I like them cause you can throw them out and forget about them, they will kick all night long. I wouldn't throw them on every rod on the spread though, if you're throwin 8 rods out I would probably throw 2 or 3 with bullheads on........they don't always get hit......but when they do it's usually a good one.

3. Missouricathunter25

Missouricathunter25 New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    Bullheads make great bait. They stay alive for days in my bait tank and on the hook. I use them all the time on my limb lines and trot lines. i have caught alot of big flattys on them. I have also caught drum, blue and channel cats on them. So don't think just flattys bite on em. i dont cut the fins off or anything and hook em in the back. sometimes i hook em in the mouth. good luck.

4. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    I have never tried them, but I know a few folks out here that said they have caught flats with them, and usually nice ones.

5. pabloracer4748

pabloracer4748 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You are using the best flathead bait. But just cause your using the best bait doesnt mean that the fish are biting or moving into the area. It seems to me the flattys can turn on or off at a moments notice. You cant judge a bait without having another side by side or trying it a few times. Keep at it, and you'll get em.:wink:

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, we did have bait side by side with them. Caught three fish on bream heads, and NO bites on the bullheads.

BB in SC

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    If I had to pick one flat head bait to use all time it would be bullheads. In the lake I hook them shallow behind the dorsal fin and fish most of them under a floater. In the river I hook them through the bottom lip and fish them at the edge of log jam or cut banks. If there is an eddy behind the log jam I will try to float one about a foot over the bottom.I want them to be 6"-8" for bait

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  8. Top_Of_The_South

Top_Of_The_South New Member

State:
    Brandenburg, Kentucky
    What is the best size bullheads to use and what is the biggest that you have ever used?

9. pabloracer4748

State:
    Kansas
    Sure you caught fish on bream heads! They werent flatheads though were they!?:wink:

10. countryboy32c

countryboy32c New Member

State:
    Lansing, KS
    I use bullheads around here alot. Usually hook them thru the back. But it depends on how im fishin.

11. pabloracer4748

State:
    Kansas
    It all depends what your fishing for. All I really give a rats azz about is monster fish. So I use 1-2 pound bully bullheads. Just look at the mouth size of the fish you wanna catch and go from there. Im not saying bullheads are some magic bait that will catch fish that arent active or hungry. All im saying is they are hardy lively and do not get yanked off the hook by gar and turtles.:big_smile:

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yep, ALL flatheads. Bream heads seem to be the bait of preference around here for flatties. They seem to prefer heads over live bream about 2 to 1.

Bill in SC

13. pabloracer4748

State:
    Kansas
    Huh, I dont know then..:confused2: just use bream heads.

14. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Hey Bill! Why don't you use the heads of the bullheads? Especially since they bleed so well. Maybe something new to try? :confused2:

I've never tried them as bait before, but I know from watching and reading a lot of the In-Fisherman stuff that bullheads are their PREFERRED bait for flatheads, ranking right up there with creek chubs. If those guys like them that well, they must catch fish on them. After all, they honestly could get ANY bait from ANY place that they want to use.

15. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Mine were, Most all my Flats are from cut bream and herring. Ive tried bullheads and not once have I caught a fish off it.

I know they are good baits but here it doesnt work nearly as well as gills/bream.

16. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Bill, looks like they work in some places. I read that they were good bait somewhere and tried them, one thing for sure, they will live all night on a hook but the fish were i was at wanted perch and shad.

My question si??? Why is Chad skinning that big flathead in his avatar??:smile2: jk

17. Carolina Cat Crew

Carolina Cat Crew New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My son has used these as well,but you got to just clip the fins but don't cut the tail off and hook them just behind the dorsel fin.Good luck.

18. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Bill - are there any bullheads in the Pee Dee? If they're not a natural food choice for that water, that may be the problem.

The Japanese love squid. It's not my natural food choice. Blah!!

19. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've heard the bullhead talk.... If I could find 'em, I might try 'em- But we're only allowed three poles here in Indiana so I wouldn't waste too much precious fishing nights with a novelty bait that I've never seen work with my own eyes.

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Gator, the bullheads are in EVERY creek, and many ponds all around here. The creeks feed the river, so I assume some bullheads do end up there.

BC in SC