Bullheads die in bait tank, warmouth and creek chubs are fine?

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by KiptonLee, Sep 5, 2017.

1. KiptonLee

KiptonLee New Member

State:
    you need to put your state in here
    Name:
    Kipton
    I have a 90 gallon fish tank as my bait tank at home, I kept cichlids in it for years I'm very experienced with fish tank upkeep and maintenance. 950 gph pump, carbon to remove ammonia and other toxins, bio balls for biological filtration, I change water every two weeks 50%

I've never had issues keeping fish of many varied species but I struggle to keep bullhead alive in this tank for more than a week or two. Around there fins a perfect circular ring is apparent on the skin of the fish and this happens before they die.

Anyone know what might be killing off my bullhead? This is a reoccurring issue been happening all year! I've kept bluegill, crappie, warmouth, chubs, suckers all without issue. But the bullheads die in a week or two?.. I'm stumped?! Maybe something in my tank has a negative impact on skin fish compared to scaled fish? I will take some pics next time I stock up. I normally use most of them up but I live right on the river I fish and like keeping them for bank fishing so it would be nice if they lived longer.

Catpaw likes this.

2. milesej05

milesej05 Active Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    Eric
    You are probably keeping the water too clean for them.

...tbh, I have not one clue.

3. Chop1

Chop1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Name:
    Chad
    I really dont know, but it looks like some kind of infection or parasite disease that started in the gills.
    Have you checked PH compared to the water you catch them from?

4. Toneyd

Toneyd Well-Known Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Toney
    Looks like the fish disease columnaris

5. JHH

JHH Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    You didn't happen to add salt to the water,did you?

6. BBK

BBK Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    Hey kipton, what declorinator are you using? Some react poorly with non scaled fish. Looks to be something to do with suffocation, probably either the chemical you are using or a bacteria infection of the gills. Are the gills red, pink or white when they are dying?

I have the same issue and have narrowed it down to the declorinator (seachem prime) but havent investigated fully. When i use buckets of tapwater that have been sitting in the sun to remove chlorine, they do just fine. When i add the chemical (half dose, full dose, or double dose) they start looking funny within hours and are dead within days. Bluegill live just fine, creek chubs too, even shad when the water is below 70.

7. drfishduck

drfishduck New Member

State:
    kansas
    Bullheads die in my tank also, orher species do great. I use lake water and have live plants that keep the water clear and an air pump. The bullhead will live a few minutes and then start flipping around and then die immediately. And they change color.

8. Stinkbait3000

Stinkbait3000 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    A long time ago i knew someone that kept a bullhead alive for 2 years in a smaller tank with a mix of other native freshwater fish and some cichlids. The setup was the same as you described and used a chemical dechlorinator with 50% water changes every other week. So it can be done, but you might have a specific disease in your system that might need you to completely restart your ecosystem to remove it.

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
  10. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    If I literally lived on the river I'd just keep em in there inside a wire cage ;)

KiptonLee likes this.