Bullheads/crawfish trappin

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Bad_fisherman21, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Im gonna be getting ahold of some wire mesh and some other materials for a few traps 3 for bullheads and 3 for crawdads. Anyone know of the best design for a bullhead trap? i know a good one for crawdads but not so much for bullheads. Im trying to get a These made well so they will last all season in 2010 and hopefully make my bait ranglin a lot easier:big_smile: anyone with plans let me know plz

2. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i make what we call a texas trap,its a 4 way trap.it'll catch anything.real good on bream,bullheads and crawdads.i've had some of mine for 5 yrs. and they're still catchin' bait.i'll try to get the plans up and get them to you.you'll need some j-clamps,and j-clamp pliers as well.what size wire?
    i use 1/2 in. landscape clothe.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Look in our library there are several good plans in there.

4. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
  5. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    thats how mine are made,except mine the corners are rounded instead of squared.use to make mine like that but found the rounded corners seem to catch more.

6. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I just use a regular cylinder trap with funnels on both ends. Actually mine are the $8 ones from Walmart with the two halves you put together. The main purpose was for crawfish, but I catch plenty of bullheads in them too. A trick I learned this year (first year I've trapped in a long time) was to have a bait holder to suspend the bait in the middle. This made my catch go up by at least 5 times. I believe before they would get on top of the trap (I typically use dry dog food for bait) and eat the bait through the mesh of the trap. I came up with the idea after seeing a couple of crawfish on top of the trap when I went to check them. Before using bait holders I would only get a few in each trap, and I wound up buying more traps to try to catch more in one day. After I started using them my traps were getting full, and I couldn't believe how many I was catching, and I realized I only needed one or two traps.

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ima agree with rounded corners!