Bullheads as bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jdw123, Apr 6, 2008.

1. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    has anybody ever used cut up bullhead meat for trotline bait? everytime i set my lines something always steals most of the bait and i catch more bullheads than i do channels and blues. i think the bullheads are mostly stealing the bait, because i trapped almost 100 turtles from my lake. will the bullheads eat there own, and is it a good bait for big blues and channels? would it be better to leave the skin on or off>

2. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    nobody has ever used bullhead for bait? well, guess i'll have to try it and find out myself.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Live Bullheads are excellent Flattie bait!!! If you can get them, It'd be well worth it to catch them and use them for bait!

4. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I would not cut up bullhead, they are GREAT bait for flathead & blues. If you want to use cut bait use shad or gills.

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I havent ever used them before, ive heard there good bait, but I have no clue where you could find bull heads at.

6. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use cut bullhead for channels and have good success. They are very bloody and leave a good scent trail. I have a couple of ponds that I trap bullheads in - I catch a lot of small ones in the 3 - 5 inch size and they make good cut bait.

7. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    well, i cut up some and put on my trot line. checked it this morning all my bait was gone as usual, but i caught one 5 pound channel. one hook was completley bent straight and one was rip completly off the line. dont know if it is a huge snapper or a huge catfish.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    cut bullheads will work, but carp is better and has tougher skin. do you rod and reel fish where you are running lines? if so you might find out what is ripping you off so bad.

9. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    awsom bait for big flatties i use up to 14inc for flatties alive and whole stay alive 4ever and strugle great

10. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    When are you baiting your lines? (morning or evening) I would try a few live bullheads and cutbait. Also, I would step up a size or two in hook size. I use nothing smaller than a 6/0,but I do fish up to a 11/0. It just depends on the size of the bait. I always bait my lines just before dark. Oh and I have had 9/0 and 10/0 hooks straightened flat out.