Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody ever used cut up bullhead meat for trotline bait? everytime i set my lines something always steals most of the bait and i catch more bullheads than i do channels and blues. i think the bullheads are mostly stealing the bait, because i trapped almost 100 turtles from my lake. will the bullheads eat there own, and is it a good bait for big blues and channels? would it be better to leave the skin on or off>

·
Registered
119 Posts
I use cut bullhead for channels and have good success. They are very bloody and leave a good scent trail. I have a couple of ponds that I trap bullheads in - I catch a lot of small ones in the 3 - 5 inch size and they make good cut bait.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, i cut up some and put on my trot line. checked it this morning all my bait was gone as usual, but i caught one 5 pound channel. one hook was completley bent straight and one was rip completly off the line. dont know if it is a huge snapper or a huge catfish.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
cut bullheads will work, but carp is better and has tougher skin. do you rod and reel fish where you are running lines? if so you might find out what is ripping you off so bad.

·
Registered
406 Posts
When are you baiting your lines? (morning or evening) I would try a few live bullheads and cutbait. Also, I would step up a size or two in hook size. I use nothing smaller than a 6/0,but I do fish up to a 11/0. It just depends on the size of the bait. I always bait my lines just before dark. Oh and I have had 9/0 and 10/0 hooks straightened flat out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.