Bullheads as Bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Kowegi, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Kowegi

Kowegi New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was reading a fishing article about catfish. In the article it said that 8 inch bullheads are the best bait to use for flatheads. Its supposed to trigger a teritorial response to the flathead, and thus flathead strikes it. The article also said that while bluegill is good bait, bullhead is better because the catfish won't expect it.
    I was just wondering if anybody used it as bait before. I can understand how it is good bait. Alot of animals are territorial (like my dog) and alot of fish seem to learn not to take a lure sometimes.
    If anybody ever used bullheads before please tell me!

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Excellent bait for flatheads. Hook them behind their dorsal fin and they will stay alive for a long time.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Bet on it! I my opinion they are the best bait for flats, and I also like to take the side cuts and snip off the dorsal and side horns on them, that way there is less chance of them sticking the fish in the mouth and it dropping the bait :wink:

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Its been said the Bullhead are about the only species that prey on Eggs and Flathead Fry. Flatheads love to eat them. But they will Squash them out of Spite to ensure the safety of the young. You could call it territorial or survival instinct. But rest assured Bullheads are some of the best bait that can be used early in the year.

5. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've never used them for bait. This year im gonna get me some and give them a try i have heard they are great bait for flatties.:wink:

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well, larry hit it on the nose. i love to use bullheads throughout the year, but it seems to me that i have better luck on them around pre-spawn and spawn. i try to target areas then that i think may hold spawning flatheads such as around large rocks or boulders, heavy logjams, and steep mud cutbanks along with those with overhanging trees and big root systems. fish the bullheads close to these areas, and if there is a flattie tucked in, there is a pretty good chance your bullhead is gonna get taken out! lol:wink: goodluck, rollo

7. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice catfish catfishrollo:smile2:

8. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice flathead good job:wink:

9. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    thanks for that tip :smile2:

10. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice catfish:wink:

11. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    I CATCH ALOT OF FLATIES ON BULLHEADS AND I LOVE CATCHING THEM TO GIVES ME AND THE KIDS SOMETHING TO DO WHEN THERE IS NOTHING TO DO

12. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    We used to fish a paylake here in GA, 4 of us spent a week catching bullheads and had around 150 of them. In one night us 4 caught 750lbs(7pm-7am) of flatheads with one bluecat in the mix. All of these fish were 30+lbs except the blue at 25. So yes they love em. They will also work with bluecats as well

13. MO-Goose

MO-Goose New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have used bullheads extensivley on the MO River and had great results with them for Blues and Flatties. They are excellent bait as far as staying alive in the fast current. Hook the bullhead behind the dorsal fin and I usually cut the fins off.

Good Luck.

14. xkid

xkid New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    How small of a bullhead would you guys use? Would one being 4-5 inches be too small?

15. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I`ve never tried one as bait but I can tell you this, where there are flatheads ,we don`t catch many bullheads.They are scarce in Pa. flathead territory.

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Jerry 4-5" would work well, I also will tell yall, I have found over the years (as most of you know) catching them on rod/reel they do alot of hook swallowing, I take a long shank hook and have been adding a cap off of a milk jug at the top of the knot then put a tiny split shot behind that to prevent slipping on the line. ever since this method we have not had one swallow the hook, the cap will not fit their mouth so they just get the barb, and 99% of the time it is right in the corner of the mouth and removes very easy and quick. Doesn't bother the bite one bit. Guess I could photo a rig set up if you need to see what I am explaining, but if you have trouble with a lot of them swalling the hook (altho they are bait) this works very well, try it you will see.

17. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the info fishnfwl. I will trythis as I have had this in the past,Thanks again.

18. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I have never thought of useing bullheads as a bait. But I guess it works and I got to try it.:big_smile:

19. uglymike

uglymike New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I agree with the bullheads in current thing. Where I do my flathead fishing there's a good current (4-5mph) 90% of the time and they'll stay lively on the hook all night. Not so with bluegills, crappie, etc. Small carp, white bass (10-12") also are tough critters, good bait.

20. Jay Jay

Jay Jay New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Bullheads are one of my favorite bait for flatheads .They live a long time ,I hook them thru the top lip ,salamanders ( mudpuppies) also work great , but you have to jig them once in a while to keep them from digging down in the mud.