Bullhead -vs- Pollys

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by BigDuck, Jul 13, 2006.

1. BigDuck

BigDuck New Member

State:
    Trumann, Arkans
    Is there a difference or are they one in the same. Here in NE Arkansas we call'em pollys and I believe its a bullhead to others.?:confused2:

2. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    They are the same thing, aka mudcats and jugheads.

3. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    the same.i believe,stinkbait will catch them good luck

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Yes, polly wogs and bullheads are one in the same!!! Different areas have different names for them, I just call them , "BAIT" !!!

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I always called tadpoles polly woggs, and bullheads bullheads:big_smile:

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    It must be an ohio thing but I've always heard tadpoles called polly wogs and bullheads called bullheads although I was born and raised in South Shore, Ky.

7. motodragon2003

motodragon2003 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm still new to the catfishing game and still after reading............not sure what a bull head is.........is that like baby yellow belly cats???

8. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    Hi up in indiana (INDY) we called them yellow bellys here in my part of florida they call them sugar cats they do taste very good on a plate

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I agree with Jack :smile2: . However a polly wog is someone that has not crossed the equator and gone thru the ceremony of life :tounge_out:

10. MNwiskers21

MNwiskers21 New Member

State:
    South Saint Paul, MN
    Hello Everyone,

Well I live in Minnesota and bullheads are the only fish species that we can use for bait and I occasionally do. I actually eat more bullheads than I use for bait especially early in the year when the water is still cold. Wrap a couple of them in some tinfoil with some onions garlic some salt and a couple tablespoons of butter, and a few small new potatos and you got yourself a very tasty meal .

Take Care Everyone!

Sincerly, Kevin

11. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    there called bullheads here in mo.:cool2:

12. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Always called em bullheads. What we call pollywogs or tadpoles are young frogs that haven't grown their legs yet. Look like they'd be a great bait but I haven't caught sqat on em. Bullheads on the other hand are a terrific bait. Hard for me to get around here.

13. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Well as mentioned by others above, in different parts of the country There called different things. Here in Iowa a tadpole is called a pollywog an imature frog, and a bullhead is called a bullhead or a yellowbelly. And Carp are called Bug Eyed Bass and some of the guys buy them Big fancy boats that go like heck and they have tournaments and win money. at least thats what I think there fishing for CARP isen't it? But them Boys call um Bass! I know that I haven't had any luck catching them carp on no plugs and them plastic worms. I just use corn But I ain't going to tell them and spoil all there Fun. LOL. J.D.
    :smile2:

14. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I agree with flathunter and fishhook. I am from Missouri and we call tadpoles pollywogs too. Bullheads are just bullheads or mud cats. We probably don't have any cute nick-names for them because they don't get fished for that much around here. Although a new world record was caught this summer in mo. 6 pounds 6 ounces! that's one big "pollywog".