Bullhead should I fish for them like other species of catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Addicted2Cats, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Addicted2Cats

Addicted2Cats New Member

State:
    West Chester, Ohio
    Hey guys, when using my castnet for bait in my sub pond I have caught several bullhead (profile pic). I want to fish for these buggers on ultra light tackle real soon, but don't know how. That brings me to my question, should I fish for them like cats? Not sure what type of rig to use or bait, though Ive heard chichen livers work well. Anybody know how to catch these guys?

2. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    there are a type of bullheads I would use a night crwals on a single hook or some stink bait

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i'll show you how to catch them! just invite me over!:D :glare:

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ive caught them on crawlers before and therockhound is right they do bite like a bull dog. ouch

also good for flathead bait i hear

5. Addicted2Cats

Addicted2Cats New Member

State:
    West Chester, Ohio
    Man I just couldnt bring myself to cut them up! There too fun to catch. Anyhow, thanks for the info I'll catch them to "hone my skills" lol. And Dink, My dad and I and a friend would love to fish the GMR with you sometime in mid-June mabey!

6. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hmmm i ate one and it was yummy

7. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I catch those all the time in a large pond near me. I bait my hook with nightcrawlers and they hit them alot. The one in your picture is what I call a "yellow belly" bullhead. If you soak them in milk for a day or so in the fridge they taste better, but I still prefer channels. I have never caught a yellow belly over 4 pounds though, so you wouldnt get much meat off of them anyway. For pond fishing I throw on a 3/8 egg sinker with a small split shot weight to keep it 12" from the hook on the bottom, and allow the weight to move freely throughout the depth of the pond. Cast out and wait for them to bite.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    who said cut um up use um whole for bait. because their size and the fact that they multiply like crazy they make good bait and eaters. you will have a hard time catching them all they will usually take over a pond.

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    nightcrawlers will work fine on bullheads, but you might want to use a small circle hook. I have gut hooked about 50% of my bullheads before using circles.

10. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    they absolutley love crawdads(crayfish). seems like the bigger ones hit em better too.

11. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I lived in western Kansas growing up and all we had were tailwater pits. They often were loaded with bullheads. I always did real well with liver. Worms were a close second. I still think they are the best eating. Good luck and fry a few up for me.

12. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    for bullheads, a simple slip rig (weight according to your rod, with ultra light i'd stay w/ 1/8th or so of weight) w/ a size 4 (up to about a 2/0) hook will work really well. when i go out fishing for bullies i'll just bring nightcrawlers and liver... circle hooks work well though because they do tend to swallow hooks alot you'll get alot of guthooks... though less w/ circles then you will w/ j's...

one tip to keep your line wet longest is when you make up your slip rig, instead of using a splitshot to keep the hook and slip sinker (i use egg but you can use any you like) seperated use a snap swivel and then either snell your own hooks w/ different length leaders (depending on the situation, i tend to go w/ 12-18 inch leaders for most of my fishing) with a double surgeons loop at the end and when you do get a swallowed hook, all you have to do is unhook the snelled leader, toss the bullie in the bucket and snap on a new leader and your ready to go... saves a mess of time and hassle...

There have been nights w/ me where i can only use one rod because the bullheads hit so fast that i don't have to even set my rod down or put away my pliers i'm so busy... sometimes at one place i go to there are even the occasional channels (usually 2-5 lbs) thrown in and on 4 lb test... those guys are a blast...

13. butlersbeagles

butlersbeagles New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a great place to catch yellow bellys if any one wants to go sometime

14. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Been fishin bullheads since I was 4-5 years old, grandpa and cane poles. we had a bobber, pretty good size sinker, and a hook, i suppose about a # 4 J hook. Bullheads are plentiful, so they fun to catch, nite crawlers work good, as well as some other stuff, but worms are what we used most. bobbers ain't really neccessary with a rod and reel, cause ya can feel the bite.

15. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I use a two hook rig with a bell sinker on bottom and two hooks up from it 12 inches from each other and baited with shrimp #1, worms #2 and liver #3 as favorite baits. Great eating and under rated as table fare.
    Bill

16. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    you know, I've often thought and wondered about the same thing....

if BH's were popular AND glamorus perhaps the differences would be as well known as the difference between LM and SM bass...
    :confused2:

but alas, BH aren't that cool. and big kids fans like myself (35 for the record) are just left with old worn out thoughts about how they eat anything...

fact is, I think the mighty BH is a pretty awesome fish. IN NW pa, the catfish population is low just 'bout everywhere and the thrill of a big 10#+ is dulled by ALOT Of lonely times waiting for them.

AND I'm convinced that BH are NOT just little 'channel' cats. they are many differences. proof of the pudding is that I have almost never caught them side by side. ok differences. mind you, I'm no expert at catchin' either. so some of this is guesses...

* BH spawn considerably earlier. I stopped catching BH (because of spawn) in early May, pre-spawn catfish is still in high gear
    * BH scavage more. And I saw something last year that was a bit of a revelation- A BH nose in the river rocks eating nymphs. BH rarely it seems stay close to some snag looking for ambushes.
    * BH loosely hang to very shallow water cover. I like to think of them as little playground snags--- you know not the huge massive trees with big root bass and a mass of underwater limbs. but shallowwater sticks, some holes, beaver pond kinds of snags.
    * BH, I think like lower velocity water. whereas the big channels are caught sometimes even in ragin currents, Bullheads always seek eddys and usually weedy, brushy ones at that
    * BH ALWAYS seem to swallow the hook. they may chew on it for ages, but if they bite... its going deeeep

:smile2: usually I don't deep hook channels nearly as much

as lastly Bullhead taste better!!
    :smile2::smile2:

+ you don't need 80# 'steel cable wire' monofil'A'ment to haul their buts out of ther'... you can be a real man and have fun on light tackle tugging the little kitty out of their 'playground' snags.