bullhead question

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Akjufrog, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Akjufrog

Akjufrog New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The newbie here has a bullhead question. I know nothing about catfishing other than what I’m learning on a couple of catfishing forums. So here goes, My Son 7yrs and My Daughter 9yrs love to go night fishing with me, we caught 7 bullheads( Atleast I think they are bullheads) tonight with the largest being 1.2lbs. Ever single one of them swallowed the hook. Do bullheads always swallow the hook?
    My children and I are strictly catch and release so what are the best hooks that are easiest to remove without hurting these little Cats.
    Thanks
    Matt B.

2. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    Thise fish you caught weren't bullheads. Bullheads are mostly up north. What you caught was whitecats. And yes they are hook swollowing fish. For the most part they are real pain when fishing with cutbait. BAdin and Tillery are full of them.

3. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    We have plenty of Bull Heads here in NC both the brown and yellow species. The black species is a northern species that I have not caught here in NC. I have caught Bull Heads in ponds, creeks, rivers, and reservoirs all over the state. Have also caught my share of White Cats primarily in reservoirs. My suggestion would be to use light tackle to cut back on gut hooks.

4. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I use a 1/0 Kahle hook when fishing for bullheads. Bullheads are small but, they've got huge mouths. I also strictly catch and release and I find kahles do the lease damage to fish.

5. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've caught a number of bullheads out of Lake Hickory. As for the deep hooking problem I would recommend the use of circle hooks. You just have to use a different technique for setting the hook. Instead of the usual "cross their eyes" sharp hookset as with J hooks, you have to let them load the rod first, then you just lift the rod increasing the pressure on the fish and reel it in. Most of the time the hook will lodge in the corner of their mouth were it can easily be removed. Check out the "Terminal tackle reveiw" section of the "Fishing tackle review and discussion" forum for more info. Good luck!

6. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc

7. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Oh yeah, The only way I've ever caught them without guthooking them is to fish with a cork and ultralite tackle, just like bream fishing. Lets you see the strike a lot sooner so you can go on and set the hook. It will surprise me if any kind of hook will help when bottom rigging, but the circles may work, give em a try and let us know. They just ease up on the bait and swallow it right where it lays at, many times swallowing an egg sinker along with the hook and bait. As often as not you don't even know you have a fish til you reel it in to check your bait.

8. Akjufrog

Akjufrog New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the advice guys i will give circles a try.
    Matt