Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house backs up to a pretty sizable pond. About 3-4 acres I'd guess. I live in indiana and typically you see large mouth bass, bluegill, a few crappie, and channel cats. You very rarely see anything else. I figured I'd be able to catch a few channel catfish no problem. After about a dozen attempts I've only managed to catch a ton of bullhead catfish which I've never seen anywhere else in indiana. I had to look them up to see what the heck they were. I don't typically like to mess with an ecosystem but I'm tempted to stock other catfish varieties. I heard big flat heads love to eat them but I don't know how well flat heads would do in a pond. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Caught a bunch in the Mississippi for flathead bait this spring. Ended up giving a large portion of them to my neighbor for eating. He grew up a farm kid from Minnesota and bullhead are his favorite eating fish. Ended up trying some ourselves and as far as catfish go pretty good.Just flushed water out once a day and replaced with fresh to clean them up a few times.

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
Bullhead Catfish are abundant in southern ILL just across the river from IN. Most often small cattle ponds were overpopulated with them as the cattle kept the water unsuitable for predatory fish like bass, bluegill, crappie and channels. After buying a property with a former cattle pond that was overpopulated with B.H. to the point I could see schools of them just under the surface, I contacted the state biologist. He suggested stocking with bass in the 8-12 inch range, or to "kill" the pond and start over which was what he considered the best option. Good Luck with it.

·
Registered
Dave from ohio
1,766 Posts
flatheads, big channels, and bass will all eat them. our pond froze out one winter and the bullheads took it over fast. took stocking fish, and killing a ton of them to get them under control. If you fish for flatheads to stock in the pond, you already have your bait.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Wish I had a pond around here that was full of bull heads. Love eating them and fun to catch.
Contact ODFW biologists about the lakes around you...most lakes in the NW have a good population

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Bullheads are highly sought after by the older anglers. Until rivers were stocked with channels and blues. They were the fish to eat. They still taste pretty good to me. In georgia locals call them mudcats.

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
Wish I had a pond around here that was full of bull heads. Love eating them and fun to catch.
Like any other fish in a small impoundment, they have to be kept in balance. Once overpopulated to a point they will not get big enough to eat. In the pond I had with an overpopulation problem the average size would have been about 3-5 inches. I tried seining them out and introducing bass but neither worked. I ended up draining the pond and starting over. A three-inch bullhead can live in an amazingly little amount of water so unless you can get the pond bottom dry enough to "crack open" I am not sure that method would have worked either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts