Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else enjoy fishing for bullheads, I love it for some reason. I look forward to sitting on a swampy bank of a pond or creek in the spring and filling a stringer full of eater size bullheads. The tackle is simple and bait is easy to round up. As soon as we start getting some 60-70 degree weather I will be out there in bullhead territory relaxing or trying to anyways.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Welcome to the site Stephen. I was just asking about a new pond today. I am hoping that there are some in it because I could use a closer place to get bait.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I love catching bullies, but the ones I've been targetting are 1-3lbs. in size. I had a pretty decent bite in January, and it's slacked off, but I hit a good bite from big boys again in later spring last year and was catching a good mix of white cats and bullheads, not to mention slab warmouth...a light gear anglers dream, especially with the bowfin and gar in that area! But yes, I like fishing for bullheads.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
i love fishing for em. seems like they always bite and all ya need to catch em is a regular sized fishing pole and a couple dozen worms. they also make good bait when ya dont wanna eat em

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
i love fishing for bullheads. nothing like a wire basket full of 8" mudcats when you're heading out for some flatheads. i have never eaten them, but heard they are as good as any other cat.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I catch a ton of bullies in the summer. Great flathead bait. I wish I could find some spots around here where the bullheads were closer to eating size.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Holy cow those are some big bullheads. The ones around here get no bigger than 2 pounds. Most of them are about 10 inches. The United states record for the bullhead is a little over 3 pounds. I just cant remember if its the black or yellow bullhead.

·
Registered
813 Posts
any one ever get bit by one? let me tell you it hurts, they got some powerful jaws for a small fish. i guess thats one reason they are called bullheads

i got a farm pond here that i could challege the state record with with a couple of the big females but i wont keep them while they are spawning. the one day i caught a huge female fat with eggs btu didnt have a scale and let her go, next day i went down with a scale and caught one simular but i think it was a touch smaller, when i weighed her she was like 2 ouces off the state record. oh well maybe this spring

·
Registered
10,792 Posts
fishin for bullheads can be like chasing crappie or bluegill ,You can get a bunch in short order,Great to let the kids in on it . And if theyre big enough fantastic eating too.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Hey, count me in for fishing for bullheads. We have a lot of small ponds with a lot of good bullheads in them. One of the best eating fish IMHO and easy to catch. Worms, shrimp or liver is good bait.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.