Bullhead fishing

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Roadkillwarrior, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Roadkillwarrior

Roadkillwarrior New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Does anyone else enjoy fishing for bullheads, I love it for some reason. I look forward to sitting on a swampy bank of a pond or creek in the spring and filling a stringer full of eater size bullheads. The tackle is simple and bait is easy to round up. As soon as we start getting some 60-70 degree weather I will be out there in bullhead territory relaxing or trying to anyways.

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the site Stephen. I was just asking about a new pond today. I am hoping that there are some in it because I could use a closer place to get bait.

3. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I love catching bullies, but the ones I've been targetting are 1-3lbs. in size. I had a pretty decent bite in January, and it's slacked off, but I hit a good bite from big boys again in later spring last year and was catching a good mix of white cats and bullheads, not to mention slab warmouth...a light gear anglers dream, especially with the bowfin and gar in that area! But yes, I like fishing for bullheads.

4. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i love fishing for em. seems like they always bite and all ya need to catch em is a regular sized fishing pole and a couple dozen worms. they also make good bait when ya dont wanna eat em

5. Migrator83

Migrator83 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I love fishing for Bullheads in the local creek. I catch mostly Yellow Bullheads and a few Black Bullheads mixed in.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ive caught some in a minnow trap but never on a hook

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i love fishing for bullheads. nothing like a wire basket full of 8" mudcats when you're heading out for some flatheads. i have never eaten them, but heard they are as good as any other cat.

8. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    theyre fun to catch simply because its easy and they pull had on light tackle. but they always seem to swallow the hook

9. Tugboat

Tugboat New Member

State:
    Texas
    someone tell me what a bullhead looks like:embarassed:

10. Tugboat

Tugboat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ok I justed searched it and found out but thanks:eek:oooh:

11. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I catch a ton of bullies in the summer. Great flathead bait. I wish I could find some spots around here where the bullheads were closer to eating size.

12. nycathunter

nycathunter New Member

State:
    New York?
    went out last night to catch some bullheads only kept these ones for the fish fry

Attached Files:

13. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Holy cow those are some big bullheads. The ones around here get no bigger than 2 pounds. Most of them are about 10 inches. The United states record for the bullhead is a little over 3 pounds. I just cant remember if its the black or yellow bullhead.

14. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    any one ever get bit by one? let me tell you it hurts, they got some powerful jaws for a small fish. i guess thats one reason they are called bullheads

i got a farm pond here that i could challege the state record with with a couple of the big females but i wont keep them while they are spawning. the one day i caught a huge female fat with eggs btu didnt have a scale and let her go, next day i went down with a scale and caught one simular but i think it was a touch smaller, when i weighed her she was like 2 ouces off the state record. oh well maybe this spring

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    fishin for bullheads can be like chasing crappie or bluegill ,You can get a bunch in short order,Great to let the kids in on it . And if theyre big enough fantastic eating too.

16. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Hey, count me in for fishing for bullheads. We have a lot of small ponds with a lot of good bullheads in them. One of the best eating fish IMHO and easy to catch. Worms, shrimp or liver is good bait.

17. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The Mo. record for yellow bullhead is 6 lb.-6 oz. Black bullhead is 4 lb.-11 oz. Don't know what the world records are.

18. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i love catching them i eat some but mostly use them for bait

19. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Matt thats a nice mess of Bullheads and Perch's.