Bullhead City Flathead Catfish Fishing Tactics

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by bluekatz, Dec 18, 2005.

1. bluekatz

bluekatz New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey fellas, we are contracters heading to Bullhead City for the next 3 months - we secured a house on the river and I was wondering if any of you have fished for the big yellow cats (flatheads) around there this time of year... I chase them pretty hard here in Bama but this is going to be foreign water for me - any winter tactics and info would be great... thanks

Kevin

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Man I cant beleive there's a city actually called "Bullhead City".....hmm....I wonder where they got that name from..... :eek: :D

3. AZrivercat

AZrivercat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Lake Havasu is your closest best bet, its about 45 minutes south of Bullhead.

4. asukevin

asukevin New Member

State:
    Tempe, AZ
    check out www.azgfd.com its the arizona game and fish website. id browse around that and itll give you a report of places and show you which lakes contain what species of fish. its really cool.

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    The Colorado river as it flows by Bullhead city is very cold water. I lived in Las Vegas for many years and would go down to Bullhead City for work every couple of weeks. During the middle of the summer air temps can be in the low 120's. I've been there when they hit 128 degrees on day. :eek: The problem is the water is still very cold. The water coming from the bottom of Lake Mead is ice cold at 800 or so feet deep. I never did fish for catfish in this section of river basically because the coldness of the water. Lake Mead is pretty close and there's good striper fishing from shore and by boat. I didn't have a boat when I lived in Vegas but would fish from shore and catch stripers and a channel cat from time to time. I never fished Lake Havasu spent too much time looking at all the girls down there. :cool:

6. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    try the topoc marsh its close 20 miles south but don't think thay get any flats there, the water below davis dam ( lake mohave) is for shure very cool

7. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    That's where i'm headed on the 27th and 28th for striper's going to cottonwood cove with my 2 boys. Only caught stripers outside the gate of SF. This should be fun I've done my home work so I think we should at least have a shot at'em.

8. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Hello all. hope everyone had a safe and happy New Year. This is the second time I am posting this. Posted in the wrong place first time. I took a trip to the river to meet Riverbud ( Dale Miller) and to check out the river and camp grounds were Dale would like to have a gathering in April. Dale is one hell of a nice guy. Good knowledge of the river and fishing areas. The river was real low with a lot of sandbars, but it is always low this time of the year. With the water being low it gave me a good time to look at some areas to fish when the water comes up and flowing. I have never fished this part of the river in the passed, but looks like it could be good area to fish. Dale and I put my boat on the water and fished some of his spots. The water Temp was a cool 55* and the fishing was slow, but Dale manage to get one channel about 3 1/2lb, good eater. The campgrounds are very clean with grass and trees and sets about 30ft from the river. This could be one of the best Gathering that Califorina and Arizona could have together. I know I will be going back and look foward to fishing with Dale again. I plan on going in Fbbruary when the river is coming up and do more fishing. Once again I would like to thank Dale for his hospitality and making me feel welcome. Hope to see everyone in April.

Billy Jo

9. bluekatz

bluekatz New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey Guys,

Well I made it here and everybody is correct... the water is cold 55 degrees and extremely clear... also I was unfortunate to have a dock which is on the other side from the main channel - when the water comes up in the mornings I see a few trout but mostly it's huge carp patrolling around. The Stripe seem to stay in the channel just out of casting range - I'm working on an idea with a R/C boat to deliver my bait to the main channel - does anybody know the range on those things?

Kevin

10. Koda

Koda New Member

State:
    Tombstone,AZ
    Morning blukatz,
    Several years ago while playing with model airplanes we figured about 1000' to 1400' but that was in the air, you would want to make sure that you have a good line of site to the model, it is upsetting to watch a plane or boat as the case may be, keep going when it gets out of range also very hard to find after the fact.
    Luck David

11. AZrivercat

AZrivercat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I've thought about the RC boat to deliver bait under the damn where they dont let you boat or walk. But I think you would need one powerful rc, unless the water was way down.

Anyways I fish the Bullhead stretch of the river from shore and do pretty good, the trick is finding a place that has somewhat of a little wing damn, it doesnt have to be much just a little disruption to the river that sticks out 10 or 15 feet. For cats, if you have time move from spot to spot.

I caught an 8 lb Channel on shrimp a week ago in that area and usually have no trouble getting a limit of little stripers on anchovies.

12. AZrivercat

AZrivercat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    So no one gets confused, There are no Flatheads in Bullhead City. (That Ive ever heard of)

Just had to say that I re-read this thread and I'm not sure if that point was made.

I'm still catching channels pretty regularly through the winter there though.