Bullhead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kenlaw76, Aug 27, 2008.

1. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I have some Bullheads for bait. In the past I hooked them in the back. How do you guys think I should hook them, and should I break off the spines? What is the besst way to keep them off the bottom?

2. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    Funny you ask because i asked a fellow member the exact same question today he told me to hook them behind the dorsal fin and to cut the side fins so you dont get poked i believe thats what he said..:smile2::confused2:..im sure you will have more responses to come and we can see if im right or not..lmao:smile2::smile2:..i have never used them but goin to catch some and givem a shot this weekend.:cool2:

3. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    i hook them just like if u caught them right thur the nostle. I dnt cut them and they get smacked. Flats will eat them with the horns on them they do in the wild?? :wink:

4. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i think its more for the sake of saving you from getting jabbed by them. the fish could care less but it aint no fun getting stuck by em. lol

5. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Funny when I was growing up in my teens I used to fish this lake that was full of them. I used to catch them all day and night. That lake, these days is surrounded by houses and it's for property owners only to fish. I don't know anywhere that I can catch them now. I wish I could find some cause they are very hardy baits. You could cut the spines off and they would bleed a scent into the water.
    They are actually very good to eat as well, if you catch the bigger ones just clean them and roll them in seasoned corn meal and fry em whole, hit em' whith a shot of tabasco and serve em' with purple hull peas and turnip greens, hard to beat. :tounge_out:

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Clip off the spines.

Hook them through the top jaw straight through thier skull

7. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia

thanks bro,
    your post made me think of the old days.LOL

8. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i always hook them behing the dorsal fin and i clip the fins off. 1. because they cant stick you then. and 2. it seems like when i clip the fins the fish get it in there mouth quicker and better imo

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In current, I would hook them in the lip, so they don't drown. In slack water, I would hook them in the back.

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    from the bottom of their mouth out the top.if you hook them in the back,the bigger they are,the more toward the top you want to hook them.unless you got a tree your fishing with,you will never pull the hook outta ones back to set the hook if ya hook it too deep,been there,done that.

i leave the fins on,just trying to keep it as natural as possible.

11. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I met a guy recently that uses bullheads exclusivly, he's fishing current, hooks through both lips and does not cut the fins. His best this week was 67 lber. Hope this helps.

12. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

I will most all the time fry them unless they are to small. Throw the small ones back. Never used them as bait.

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I never clipped the fins because I feel like the more I handle them, the greater my chances of getting stung. I get stung anyways sometimes, but would hate to get stabbed multiple times. :confused2::angry::big_smile:

14. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i always grab them by the head and very seldom get stung
    everyone tells me how do you do that
    it is called no fear ha ha
    i just put my fingers behind the fins behind the head and keep the head in the palm of my hand :wink:

15. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    That's how I have been doing it. That bone behind the fins is sharp to.

16. ole whiskers

ole whiskers Guest

Sting kill.... Take your knife scrape some of the slime off the catfish and rub it where you got stuck. :wink: