BULLHEAD CATFISH

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by creekrunnerpca123, Aug 27, 2008.

1. creekrunnerpca123

creekrunnerpca123 New Member

State:
    georgia
    JUST HOW BIG DO BULL HEADS GET,SOMEONE SAID THERE WERE BULLHEADS IN TOBO,JUST CURIOUS,THANKS

2. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    My buddy has a picture of a bullhead that is 18# and was caught out of eastman lake, ca they normally are less than a foot long and primarily are for bait...IMO but there are other places where they flourish too im sure and are bigger but I know that they arent the biggest species of cat by any means one of the smaller ones

3. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Georgia State Record Freshwater Fishes

Bullhead, Brown

Weight:
    Angler:
    5 lbs. 8 oz.
    James W. Andrews
    O.F. Veal Pond
    May 22, 1978

4. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    World Record - Bullhead Catfish
    (All Tackle)
    Weight: 8 lbs. - 15 oz.
    Length:
    Girth:
    Angler:
    Caught at:
    Bait/Lure:
    Method:
    Record Date:
    Source: National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame - 2003 Edition

5. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Are you sure? I have heard of larger bullhead than that and I actually can contact a buddy for his picture...Is there different types of bullheads?

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    IF BULLHEAD GOT TO 18 LBS I WOULD BE ON A BULLHEAD SITE NOT A CATFISHING SITE:smile2::smile2::smile2:

THAT WOULD BE ONE HELL OF A FIGHT!!!!!!

7. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Source: National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame - 2003 Edition _There is a Yellow Bullhead but I think its even less. Maybe someone else knows.

8. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    LOL I HOPE MY BUDDYS PICTURE IS WHAT HE SAYS CAUSE ILL LOOK LIKE A KNUCKLEHEAD IF ITS A CHANNEL BUT THE WAY IT SEEMS IT LOOKS LIKE IT ALREADY IS A CHANNEL LOL no flats or blues where I am

9. Sultan of Slime

Sultan of Slime New Member

State:
    GA
    Tobo is full of bullheads and channels.A few flatheads but not too many.

10. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    There are several species of bullhead. Black, brown, yellow, spotted, and snail bullheads are some of the different kinds. The white catfish is also a member of the bullhead family, and they are all members of the genus "Ameiurus". The white cat is the largest, and the IGFA list a 18 lb. 14 oz. fish as the world record; however, the FHF lists a 22 lb. monster white cat from CA as the record. (Thanks In-Fisherman book! :big_smile:)

11. armyfisher

armyfisher Member

State:
    georgia
    bullhead really dont get that big, they are really better for bait than anything else. If your lucky to get a decent sized one then eat um, i like bullhead over channel dont know why just do. but hey if you do catch a bigin throw um back let um get bigger unless its the record the one i got on my picture was 5 lbs 5 o.z. 4 o.z. from the state record for brown bullhead. i'll tell ya what though them little ones put up a hella fight they're little scrappers for sure. :cool2:

12. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    No joke man them things pull harder then hell i caught a 5 pounder and he felt more like 10 those things are insanely strong

13. festus

festus New Member

I have a creek running through my backyard that's about 18-20 feet wide and about 6' deep. It has bullheads in it, but I don't remember catching one over 8" to 10". I have caught them downstream where the creek widens and gets deeper, but very seldom over 12". Black bullheads and yellow bullheads. They are good eating. I have never used them for bait, but I hear madtom catfish are better for fishing with.

14. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I love catching bullheads when we cant go to the river.We go to a pond that was stocked with brown bullheads and they fight really good for their size.They are a blast on lite tackle.I havent used one for bait,so I cant comment on that.I have ate them and they are good eatin.Oh,I catch them on shrimp and some on crawlers.

Note: my avatar is a brown bullhead

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  15. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    8"10" bullheads make great flathead bait. I like them better than perch or chubs.

16. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    We like to explore the creeks around the area, and we catch bullhead pretty often. Biggest one was 10-12", but they sure do put up a good fight for their size.