Bullhead catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by butch fulk, Jun 28, 2008.

1. butch fulk

butch fulk New Member

State:
    Charlotte, Mich
    kinda of a dumb question, what the difference between a bullhaed and cat fish, cat are bigger , do they taste the same

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    there are 2 types of bullheads, yellow bullhead, and brown bullhead.
    They are smaller than a channel catfish and they dont have a forked tail like a chanel cat.

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I would like to add to Jack's post on the bullhead species. There is actually 3 species of bullhead catfish that I'm aware of. These include the Black, Yellow and the Brown bullhead. Bullheads very seldom reach a weigh of more than 2 pounds. Many farm ponds have bullheads. I use to catch them as a kid in my grandfather's pond. The are a good eating fish. They put up a good fight for the kids to catch them. Nightcrawlers, liver and stinkbait plus others are great proven baits to catch them. Bullheads have been known to live 10 to 12 hours out of the water!

To answer your question on the table fare of Bullheads, Yes they taste much like channel cats. Trim off the yellow back and belly fat. Fine eating!!!

Hope this helps.:big_smile::big_smile::wink:
    Mark..

4. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

Bullheads are catfish, I think they are in the same family as channels and blues. For me if I start catching bullheads it's time to fish somewhere else, they don't get very big, and I don't think they are good eating at all, pretty much all they are good for is bait.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Mark,ya beat me to it.:wink:I catch and eat lots of yellow bullheads here from my local lake,The flesh is an orange/yellow tint ,But the taste is somewhat sweet like perch or walleye,after cooking it turns white. Most fish from clear,clean waters are excellant table fare .

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    mark you are correct. there are 3. brown, black,yellow.

here are the state records and north american records to you can compare sizes. illinois that is.

black bullhead/ illinois---5lb 6 oz n/a 8lb 15 oz out of MI.

brown illinois---2lb 10.4 oz n/a 6lb 2 oz from MS.

yellow illinois---5lb 4 oz n/a 4 lb 15 oz out of GA.

hope this helps.

P>S> bullheads are fine eating too.

pics. black, brown, yellow

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri

Nope. Missouri holds the world record for yellow bullhead at 6 lb. 6 oz. Google it. :wink::smile2: The same guy has caught 3 more 6 pounders from the same lake since then. :cool2:

8. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Oh, you said STATE records. :embarassed: Sorry for my reading comprehension problems lmao.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    illinois fishing guide has our state and north american records. it claims the yellow north american is 4lbs 15oz from ogeechee river GA. from the 08 guide. not saying its golden. just thats where my info came from.:wink:

ill check the web.

John Irvin of Drexel caught this 6-pound, 6-ounce yellow bullhead catfish at Old Drexel Lake in Bates County May 27. The fish is a new Missouri state record and is larger than the current records recognized by the International Game Fish Association and the National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame.
    (Missouri Dept. of Conservation photo)

Bullhead catfish, which seldom grow larger than 3 pounds, are doubling that figure 20 miles south of Kansas City.

DREXEL, Mo.-Pity the lowly bullhead. Beloved by young anglers and bucket-sitting, cane pole-toting worm-dunkers, these unpretty little catfish get no respect*unless they are twice the size that fishing encyclopedias say they should be. Then they are world records.

That is the case with a tremendous yellow bullhead caught south of Kansas City over the Memorial Day weekend. John Irvin, his 8- and 11-year-old daughters and a nephew, who is 12, were crappie fishing at Old Drexel Lake late in the afternoon on May 27. They were taking turns with their only rod and reel. Irvin, 42, happened to be holding the rod when something big bit. That was no surprise. The 2- or 3-acre lake, which once was Drexel's municipal water supply, has channel and flathead catfish in it.

"My cork went down and I set the hook and pulled that thing up through the moss and I said, 'That has to be a bullhead.' I got to looking at him and I said 'That's a bullhead alright.'"

In spite of being certain that the fish was a yellow bullhead, Ameiurus natalis, Irvin was a little confused. He had never seen one that large. In fact, as far as record books show, no one has.

Missouri's previous pole-line-and-lure record for yellow bullhead was a 5-pound, 13-ounce specimen taken from a farm pond near Blue Springs in 1986. The International Game Fish Association in Diana Beach, Fla., counts a 4-pound, 4-ounce fish caught in Arizona as its all-tackle record, and the National Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame in Hayward, Wisc., recognizes a 4-pound, 15-ounce fish from Georgia as the high-water mark for yellow bullheads.

The Fishes of Missouri puts the maximum weight of yellow bullheads in Missouri streams at about 2 pounds. McClane's New Standard Fishing Encyclopedia is more optimistic, saying they may attain a weight of 3 pounds. Those books may need revision. When Conservation Agent Phil Needham put Irvin's fish on his own certified scales, he watched the weight level off at 6 pounds, 6 ounces.

Here is where the story gets really interesting for other bullhead anglers. Irvin fished the same lake again for the next two days and landed two more yellow bullheads that dragged his pocket fish scales down to the 6-pound mark. He didn't bother having them officially weighed, since they fell short of his first catch. He also had his line broken by three fish. "There's no telling what they were," he said.

guess our guide aint up to date. seems this would be the north american record.:confused2:

WHAT? THIS STUPID GUIDE SAYS THIS RECORD WAS FROM 2003. HELL IN THAT ARTICLE IT SAID IN 1986 A 5LB 13 OZ WAS FORMER. I CANT BELIEVE ANYTHING THIS STUPID GUIDE SAYS NOW. I FEEL STUPID.

10. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Wow! That is a MONSTER! I bet it looked alot like a flathead!:smile2: One heck of a fight too!

11. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i fish the wet walnut creek and catch up to 2-4lbdrs and yes when they are that big they are good eating i usually use the ones that are 1 lb for set lines as bait

12. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    My favorite bait is shrimp and you bet, they are good table fare.

13. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I also try to cut out some of the RED meat on all catfish

14. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Here's the only pic I can find of that fish. Wish I could find one in side view.

Attached Files:

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i was just about to do the same (post pic)when i seen the reps. thanks.:wink:

16. TexDan

TexDan New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bullheads are tough little critters and can live in almost any stagnant mudhole that holds water year around. I suspect that this is where the idea comes from that some people have that they are not good to eat. If they live in a mudhole they will taste like mud. as a matter of fact, here they are called mudcats and I was a grown man before I ever even heard them called anything else...that is not obscene. If I catch a good sized one in clear water I eat them just like I would any other cat and when the fillets are mixed nobody ever notices any difference. The problem is finding them big enough to eat. It seems that most of them are under the 9 or 10 inch minimum that I will mess with.

17. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Hey, butch,
    Thanks for asking the question for me!! I didn't think it was stupid at all. Still new to catfishing, and still have a lot to learn. Thanks!:big_smile:

Deb