Bullhead catfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by mikeskywalker, Jun 6, 2007.

1. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    What is the best way to locate and catch bullheads for bait ??

2. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Here in Iowa a lot of the smaller rivers hold them. Try something like the south river, south skunk, skunk, beaver creek and use a smaller hook with some crawlers or livers. Thats about the only way I catch them. I get a lot of tiny channel cats this way but every now and then I'll get a bully.

3. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    They are in almost every body of water in Iowa. Just fish a nightcrawler on the bottom and you should have all you want in no time.

4. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I know you might think im wrong since i'm young but the best way is either a small creek.Me and my friend got to a creek In ohio.IT is pobally 15 feet to the other side but is muddy on the bottom and all you catch is bullhead.:tounge_out:

5. mossyoakhunter28

mossyoakhunter28 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I catch bullhead the same as I would fish for channels. The only difference is that I use crawlers for bait where on channels I use the bullheads. Usually start an hour before dark fishing in the shallows of a lake around some structure whether it be a log or a grass bed. I like to use a medium action pole for extra sensitivity to catch them since they usually don't bite very aggresively. Good Luck to you.

6. shovelheadfanatic1

shovelheadfanatic1 New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey dylan543 what part of ohio do you live in and if you live in cincinnati what are some lakes or rivers i can catch bullheads or yellow-bellies

7. mjghunter

mjghunter New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    We have a couple ponds full of them. I have caught over 100 4" yellow bellys in less that 1hr. They are great flathead bait. We use red worms. with a hook and bobber.

8. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    just drive about 30 miles north to Don williams lake north of ogden. fish below the dam with crawlers. You will catch all you would want.

9. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    River back waters is where we usually find bullheads. A small long shanked hook, and a night crawler on the bottom. Bullheads tend to eat any time of the day. Flatheads love a lively bullhead.