Bullhead Catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by jim700, Jul 13, 2009.

1. jim700

jim700 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Where do you guys catch your bullheads for bait? I am currently putting together a few bait tanks to save some time so when i go fishing i just gotta hit the bait tanks instead of searching for bait before i go fishin. I have no idea where to start for bullheads or how to use them for that matter, should i cut them like shad or just leave em hole, and are the better on Trot Lines or rod n reel?

Thanks

Jim

2. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO
    Jim welcome to the BOC. It's a great site. We catch ours typically in my buddies small stagnant pond but you can catch them in small feeder creeks too if you use hotdogs or worms for bait.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC.
    I catch mine in my perch trap, I bait it with liver in a cheese cloth sack.
    I use them on a float almost all the time so I hook them behind the dorsal fin, don't hook them to deep so the hook will pull out when you set it.
    If I fish them on the bottom I hook them though the top lip. I like them 6"-8" long.

4. jim700

jim700 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the welcomes and the information! I have never heard of any one fishing with bullheads and now as i think back on it our neighbors used to have a small pond full of what my grandpa was calling yello belly bait stealers now i realize that you guys are using these things to catch decent size fish.....meh i wished i still lived there lol. Again thanks for the info.

Jim

5. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    they are great for flatheads !!!

very well durring pre and post spawn .

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jim. I haven't caught any in years. None in the farm ponds I fish.

7. Double L

Double L New Member

State:
    Mo
    Welcome to the BOC.