Bullhead Catfish

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by JMANWI, May 26, 2009.

1. JMANWI

JMANWI New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Anyone know where I could catch some for catfish bait in the St. Louis area? Can't seem to find them anywhere. I like to use them on rod and reel for flatheads. Thanks for your help.

2. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Farm ponds are always the best way to go. I let my deer lease expire this year but the land I was leasing had three great bluegill and bullhead lakes. Ask around and you might find a farmer/landowner willing to let you fish their lakes.

3. JMANWI

JMANWI New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks. I agree that farm ponds are the way to go.That's what I always did back home. I just don't have a lot of farm contacts down here since I spent most of my life in Wisconsin and the rest in St. Louis city. I'm hoping a brother can help me out.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I sure dont know of any off the top of my head either. Ol Grump would probably know of some spots. Check with him.

5. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    When we were kids we caught bullhead out of Dardenne creek. We would go under the old bridge behind the spillway on lake 33. The bridge is gone now but I would guess the bullheads are still in the creek. Uh thats in Busch Wildlife area in Weldon Spring

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I do see what you are saying, Cuz, but personally, I think of Grump more of a flathead type.:wink:

7. olejer

olejer New Member

State:
    Herculaneum Mo.
    Kutter;1472151]I do see what you are saying, Cuz, but personally, I think of Grump more of a flathead type.:wink:

My, We're Quite the little sh!tt Disturber these days

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I would think any of them little creeks in the area would be good, I'd bet there at Alton dam after the high water goes down enough to trap in them sloughs they should be loaded with bullheads.... as far as close to ya, all the little creeks over my way have all ya want, but your looking at a 60-70 mile round trip, maybe the horse shoe lake over that way it has several little creeks feeding into it....

9. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Josh, I don't know anywhere off the top of my head. I've only caught a few in some of the small ponds fishing for channels growing up. I do know of a place up north that sells them, I'm pretty sure. It's called Buzzard's Roost up at Mark Twain Lake, In Florida, MO. If you are interested in an alternative bait, I've caught alot of big flatties on big goldfish. (6-10") They work pretty good for blues too. You might also try some bluegill. A good friend of mine has been catching alot of flatties in the past couple weeks in the rocks using hand size bluegill, on the Mississippi.:wink:

10. JMANWI

JMANWI New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for everyone's help. I have tried bluegill and goldfish along with shad. They do work well. The problem is that a lot of the places I seem to find flatheads there are lots of gar. My experience is that bluegill and goldfish and especially shad usually can't take many gar hits before they die. Bullheads are about as tough as fish get so that's why I really like to use them. Randy, I do fish Illinois from time to time. Any creeks near New Athens where they are easy to catch. 60-70 miles is no big deal if I can get a bunch.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Kutter, you tryin to look like The Godfather with that avatar? :smile2: Should we call you Tom Corleone or sumpn? Are you the Godkutter? :smile2:

The Godkutter, ruler of the rains. :smile2::cool2:

12. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Like randy said, horse shoe lake by granite city. It is full of them.

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Have to agree about Horseshoe Lake. Holden lake, nearby is also a good bet.
    Not so sure about below Alton Dam. Never found bullheads anywhere flats could be. :wink:

14. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Cuz, bowing is acceptable, curtsying is not.:wink:

15. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Define "these days" please.:wink:

Not worried about ol Grump, he sold that fancy pistol of his. You did, didn't you Grump, ol buddy ol pal?:wink:

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Was referring to the west side there that floods out along the road past the gas station, OH YEA never mind you probably don't know where the fuel stop is :smile2: :smile2: :smile2:

17. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I may be wrong, but it occurs to me that I may have just had a slur thrown right up pitch top my head!:wink:

Not an inaccurate one mind you, but a slur none the less.

18. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    bullhead catfish? that must have been what i was trying to catch yesterday
    cause they was all bullheaded and wouldnt bite lol

usually get some in farm ponds but sloughs that been around awhile i usually
    catch some. sny levi drainage is good also

19. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Horseshoe Lake used to be full of bullhead,for sure.I also used to tear em up at Suson Park,of all places.Oh,and Kutter's new avatar?that's what he looks kike after he rehydrates after his winter nap.The hat's for all the rain he brings along.

20. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent

Hmmmmmm, Old Crow or Wine last night? :smile2: :smile2: